Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, Ive been looking at a serpent star for a while now. I have a 70 gallon tank. Stocking list will include watchmen goby, shrimps, firefish, small clowns and crabs and some other larger fish. I am more worried about my crabs, snails, shrimp and small fish being eaten at night as Ive read its nocturnal. Ive seen about half and half on this. Some people says these are aggressive and eat fish and stuff at night, others say the banded one is fine its the green or red brittle serpent to avoid. I was wondering if anyone who has these or had these in the past could comment on this?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, Ive been looking at a serpent star for a while now. I have a 70 gallon tank. Stocking list will include watchmen goby, shrimps, firefish, small clowns and crabs and some other larger fish. I am more worried about my crabs, snails, shrimp and small fish being eaten at night as Ive read its nocturnal. Ive seen about half and half on this. Some people says these are aggressive and eat fish and stuff at night, others say the banded one is fine its the green or red brittle serpent to avoid. I was wondering if anyone who has these or had these in the past could comment on this?
They are scavengers. I have several from small to large including the banded you want and they have never harmed anything. They get blamed for killing fish and inverts because they are often caught eating the carcass but its almost always already dead.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are scavengers. I have several from small to large including the banded you want and they have never harmed anything. They get blamed for killing fish and inverts because they are often caught eating the carcass but its almost always already dead.

ah okay that makes me feel better. Do they have any specific needs as far as food/algae or do they just eat whatever is leftover in the tank from fish feedings?

CLICK TO VIEW

collins.jason.k

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah okay that makes me feel better. Do they have any specific needs as far as food/algae or do they just eat whatever is leftover in the tank from fish feedings?
They will eat whatever leftovers they find. They like to hide during the day, but when you feed the tank you'll start to see their arms moving out from their hiding places trying to snatch whatever floats by.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also will it be safe from my hermits? I have halloweens mostly and they wacked a pistol shrimp in the 12 hours after I put him in the tank. To be honest I think the pistol tried something with the halloween as they dont mess with my other shrimp.

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I think they should be target feed at least once a week. I feed a piece of shrimp. It's pain, though. It stays hidden in a spot that's hard to reach.
Cool! I think Im going to pull the trigger and get one!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, I have a pretty large I guess generic one, its like a purplish-red color, its about 5 inches across. Never leaves his spot under a rock during the day, But at night Ill catch him rustling through my gsp or looking for morsels that the crabs missed.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, I have a pretty large I guess generic one, its like a purplish-red color, its about 5 inches across. Never leaves his spot under a rock during the day, But at night Ill catch him rustling through my gsp or looking for morsels that the crabs missed.
He wont hurt the corals or the inverts at night either?

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tenecor Aquariums
Back