Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running aroubd 6 weeks, display rocks are new, rocks in the sump are 6 months old and seeded obviously.

Had some diatoms, still in that stage a bit, i regularly blow the dust off so the filter roller can remove them, the green algae you see has steadily been growing over the last couple of weeks, nitrate around 20 ( hanna checker on the way) phosphate is around .25

The algae wont blow off and even using a toothbrush is pretty stubborn

Anything to worry about?

Picture taken with lights off, im going to keep them off for a few days too, but they are not even on high - whites for example are only on 7% ( its a pair of hydra 26 units)

20230324_082010.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running aroubd 6 weeks, display rocks are new, rocks in the sump are 6 months old and seeded obviously.

Had some diatoms, still in that stage a bit, i regularly blow the dust off so the filter roller can remove them, the green algae you see has steadily been growing over the last couple of weeks, nitrate around 20 ( hanna checker on the way) phosphate is around .25

Anything to worry about?

Picture taken with lights off, im going to keep them off for a few days too, but they are not even on high - whites for example are only on 7% ( its a pair of hydra 26 units)

View attachment 3078890
Just curious. What live stock have you added so far?

Avast
OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im goin through the same my tank is only 8 weeks old.i got some hermit crabs and turbo snails and they are keeping it in check
I have 6 large hermits from my old tank, a tuxedo urchin and a couple of snails, going to get some more snails and crabs later

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. What live stock have you added so far?
Fish from my other tank were

Leopard wrasse
Yellow watchman goby
Pair of clowns
Gramma
Midas blenny

Then since the new tank added

Juvenile one spot fox face ( that appears to not eat algae)
Coral beauty (that has a little peck at the algae)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish from my other tank were

Leopard wrasse
Yellow watchman goby
Pair of clowns
Gramma
Midas blenny

Then since the new tank added

Juvenile one spot fox face ( that appears to not eat algae)
Coral beauty (that has a little peck at the algae)
Great thanks! I was interested in the possible route your algae took into your aquarium.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Anything to worry about?

View attachment 3078890
This looks like both surface and slime algae. While it can be scrubbed off, Reduction of white light intensity or hours of white lighting will be helpful.
Some causes are often a tank at or near a window, use of tap water, high phosphates and lights on for extended number of hours.
You can add a few snails such as astrea-cerith-turbo grazer and a few Caribbean blue leg hermits at this time to help with removal.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like both surface and slime algae. While it can be scrubbed off, Reduction of white light intensity or hours of white lighting will be helpful.
Some causes are often a tank at or near a window, use of tap water, high phosphates and lights on for extended number of hours.
You can add a few snails such as astrea-cerith-turbo grazer and a few Caribbean blue leg hermits at this time to help with removal.
Thanks, just bought some more snails and hermits, lights are off and will stay off for at least a few days, then probably turn them down a bit more ( not that they can go much lower, whites way less than 10% already and red/green 2%) its opposite a window but about 12/14 feet away from it, only ever use home made 0 tds rodi and tropic marin reef pro salt, 10% weekly water changes too

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's perfectly normal and will resolve itself as coralline starts taking over the rocks. Keep nutrient levels within reason and within a few weeks, you'll start seeing little purple spots on the rocks.
Thank you

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks, just bought some more snails and hermits, lights are off and will stay off for at least a few days, then probably turn them down a bit more ( not that they can go much lower, whites way less than 10% already and red/green 2%) its opposite a window but about 12/14 feet away from it, only ever use home made 0 tds rodi and tropic marin reef pro salt, 10% weekly water changes too
I suspected window. The power of UV is strong and is likely your culprit. Often, simply placing a sheet of Black construction paper on side of tank that faces the window and you will in days see a drastic change.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspected window. The power of UV is strong and is likely your culprit. Often, simply placing a sheet of Black construction paper on side of tank that faces the window and you will in days see a drastic change.
Unfortunately its the front that faces the window and the only place the tank can go, we had our last tank there for 6 months and had nothing like this, i understand all tanks are different but i reckon the lights as they are 'proper' lights rather than the rubbish fluval marine light on the other tank, other reason for saying the lights is its over the tops of the rocks nearest to the lights not down low near the sand

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run uv for my fish, would having that flow increased for water quality help?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And your thoughts are ?
If the fish were the only things added, the algae must have come along with them.

Aquarium water is a gold mine of microorganisms. Exposing a clean piece of plastic or glass to aquarium for an hour and then placing the plastic or glass in Instant Ocean with nitrate and phosphate results in a surface covered with many species algae and probably even more species of bacteria. What water coming in with the fish, even just the amount clinging to the surface of the fish could introduce all sorts of algae and bacteria to your new spotless aquarium.

When I saw your new aquarium with the algae stain, I wondered how that got there.

Dan

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I also run uv for my fish, would having that flow increased for water quality help?
The UV unit will addresses free floating organisms that pass through it and not what is pre-existing. Increased flow will deter algae from sticking to surfaces and not stop them.
Algae does not come on fish- I believe that sunlight is the main source . If not overfeeding, that helps

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back