Bacteria Products: which one would you use?

BRS

Which of the following product(s) will you use?

• Total voters

J1a

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a lot of discussion about ingredients in commercial products. There is something in these discussions which really make me stop and reflect: why does reefers give so much confidence to bacteria (or natural) products?

Help me out to do this poll, and let's see if this discussion will go anywhere meaningful. Of course, we assume the product actually contains exactly what it say it is.

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My logic is, “if it can grow it in the wild, it’s good enough for me”.

There’s so much we don’t know.

If bacteria prevents the ugly stage, then why did BRS’s 1 year rock that was running in the dark get an ugly stage when it was exposed to lights? Does that mean bacteria cannot outcompete algae for space?

Why do some people running ULNS not get dinos, while other people do? Roberto’s tank for example (Feb 2022 reef of the month)

If the rock is in a system/place that can sustain healthy corals, it’s good enough for me.
I just assume everything “good” will transfer to my system.

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bigger concern is. If a bacteria grows on tree barks, it's may not be natural in reef.

But many reefer would consider such a bacteria natural for their reef because it can be found somewhere else in the nature.
See, that logic just doesn’t make sense with me. I want to sustain corals, not win a biodiversity contest. What’s the purpose of adding bacteria that grows on tree barks? Are those specific bacteria sustaining corals? Most likely not. You’ll be better served getting something that was directly sourced from marine environments.

Bacteria is overrated IMO.

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a "None of the above" choice.

I have never used commercial bacteria in any tank I have ever run, and never will.
Not even live rock? That was the first option.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this area will be where aquabiomics company can really take off. The tank testing service I am ‘eh’ on but them offering tested packages of rock rubble and live sand I think will become the standard and replace bacteria in a bottle products since so much of the microbial community is unknown or unculturable. I bought some rubble myself and plan to yearly to help diversify the food web in the tank. I don’t see how any bottled product can compare with it.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even live rock? That was the first option.

All of my tanks were skip-cycled using a couple pieces of rock from a previous build. IDK that I would call it "Live Rock" as it really doesn't fit my impression of what Live Rock is. When I think Live Rock, I think about ocean harvested rock that comes with all kinds of living stuff on it like feather dusters, and sponges ect ect...

When I set up my 32g for example, I dropped a couple pieces of dry rock into the sump from my 180 for a couple weeks.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this area will be where aquabiomics company can really take off. The tank testing service I am ‘eh’ on but them offering tested packages of rock rubble and live sand I think will become the standard and replace bacteria in a bottle products since so much of the microbial community is unknown or unculturable. I bought some rubble myself and plan to yearly to help diversify the food web in the tank. I don’t see how any bottled product can compare with it.
I completely agree that adding some LR or even a rock swap between tanks is a good idea to boost diversity. I'm fascinated though, by the idea of adding bacteria the serve specific purposes. For example, some of the Dr. Tim's bottled products do not divide in salt water, but can be useful for performing specific maintenance tasks. I was extremely skeptical about these products, but I used some of them and had good luck. I never thought id be down for an engineered non-natural purpose driven microbial bloom (as in dumping some bacteria into the tank), but this worked pretty well for me. I'm still a live rock till the end reefer though.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree that adding some LR or even a rock swap between tanks is a good idea to boost diversity. I'm fascinated though, by the idea of adding bacteria the serve specific purposes. For example, some of the Dr. Tim's bottled products do not divide in salt water, but can be useful for performing specific maintenance tasks. I was extremely skeptical about these products, but I used some of them and had good luck. I never thought id be down for an engineered non-natural purpose driven microbial bloom (as in dumping some bacteria into the tank), but this worked pretty well for me. I'm still a live rock till the end reefer though.
A lot of those, depending on the brand and application of course, are more bacterial byproducts being enzymes (many bacillus based) and it’s really the addition of the enzymes that are breaking down the various compounds in the water or detritus. Particularly for heavy stocked fish systems the enzymes do amazing jobs at clearing out filters. Many of these are carryovers from wastewater treatment and are legit studied and viable solutions if one has a particular issue like organic build up.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back