Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello internet fish/coral people! My name is Brad. I have kept saltwater aquariums on and off since I was a teenager. I broke down my last tank in the fall of 2015.
It was a mix of Softies, LPS and SPS. 30 gallon tank, 20 long sump. Kalk in the ATO, macro algae refugium w/ a deep sand bed. I carbon dosed vinegar. Lighting was a custom built LED unit (black box LEDs available at the time I built the tank).
I have been waiting for the right time to step back into the hobby and last night we stumbled on a killer deal on FB. I picked up a Rimless 60 cube with a corner overflow. It came with a brand new dc return pump, black box LED light, 10 gallon sump and DIY stand & hood.
My goal is to duplicate what I did before but just better. I know that the sump will be too small and this is where my question for the internet lies.
What is the "best" layout for a square sump with refugium, skimmer, return, filter sock and still have space in the stand for ATO. dosing holding? Can I even fit all of that? Has anyone out there already build what I am thinking? I am not at all afraid to buy acrylic and build the whole thing from scratch. I want to take my time and plan this right so I only build this tank once.
Also I am wondering how has the hobby changed in the last 7 years? Have "best practices" changed? What new methods are people having success with?
I will attach a few pictures of my old tank from before I broke it down. Thanks in advance.
IMG_20151112_125938.jpg
20150611_214756.jpg

DSC_0150.JPG
DSC_0146.JPG
DSC_0148 (2).JPG

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Generic... and glad you are back and indeed all you want under the tank will make it tight - ATO on the outside?

and the biggest change is in the lighting - black boxes are better than they were, and brand names even better

best of luck!!

100.gif

rmorris_14

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now Streaming Star Trek GIF by Paramount+

I'm just back into the hobby after MANY years. The big difference between now and then is the amount of information at our fingertips. :oops:. And the tang police. That's a new thing to me for sure.

World Wide Corals

Thetankdoctor

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome back...technology has gotten WAY better and WAY more advanced. I been in the game 40+ years and you won't believe what the new lights can do, or a roller mat or the controllers...I could go on and I about what has changed. It really is an awesome time to be in this hobby. I mean 6-7 years ago led lights were on or off. Now a days they create sunrise and sunsets, overcast days, storms..including lighting. Good times! With the dosing pumps available, maybe locate your auto in a different room or in a basement and just run some plumbing to it. Keeps the stand less cluttered...have fun!

OP
OP
genericfishname

genericfishname

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I have a few creative ideas, this will very much be a budget DIY build.

The tang police were very much a thing 7 years ago. Also, why do "we all hate Vibrant"?
Welcome back!

What’s new? uhh everything’s even more expensive and we all hate vibrant now

Jimbhoy13

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the salty world Brad. Old tank looked good. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back