Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight my wife asked me, “have you seen the little thing in the hole in the rock in the corner? They look like baby Xenia.”

My ten year old then said ,”I saw that! It’s those bad things!” He meant aiptasia.

What!? You guys just see aiptasia and don’t let me know sooner?!

Naturally I run over and have them show me. They are tucked away on the wall side of the tank in a spot really hard to get a picture of so it’s not the best. Plus lights had already gone out so I’ll get more tomorrow.

It really doesn’t look like any aiptasia I’ve seen. There aren’t as many tentacles and they are longer stemmed.

I have no GSP or clove polyps so I’m thinking baby Xenia that released and found their way into this little nook.

Again, bad pic and low light, even when lights are on, but what do you guys think?

767353C6-A5A7-43AE-9268-C21CBDE0ED34.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

RyanN

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doesn't look like aptasia to me at all. Looks like anthelia. Hard to tell size from the picture but it could be xenia. I definitely don't think it's anything bad but there is a vermatid (sp?) In the picture and they aren't awesome but haven't caused me much of an issue.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doesn't look like aptasia to me at all. Looks like anthelia. Hard to tell size from the picture but it could be xenia. I definitely don't think it's anything bad but there is a vermatid (sp?) In the picture and they aren't awesome but haven't caused me much of an issue.
I don’t have any anthelia in the tank but do have Xenia. Started with dry rock so it wouldn’t have hitchhiked on and I’d probably have seen some as a frag hitchhiker.

Yup, not worried about the vermetid. Plenty of them around my tank and that one is not near any coral to irritate.

CLICK TO VIEW

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight my wife asked me, “have you seen the little thing in the hole in the rock in the corner? They look like baby Xenia.”

My ten year old then said ,”I saw that! It’s those bad things!” He meant aiptasia.

Naturally I run over and have them show me. They are tucked away on the wall side of the tank in a spot really hard to get a picture of so it’s not the best. Plus lights had already gone out so I’ll get more tomorrow.

It really doesn’t look like any aiptasia I’ve seen. There aren’t as many tentacles and they are longer stemmed.

I have no GSP or clove polyps so I’m thinking baby Xenia that released and found their way into this little nook.

Again, bad pic and low light, even when lights are on, but what do you guys think?

View attachment 2933779
Looks like a baby xenia can you get a pic while shining a flashlight at it. Thanks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2933779
I swear I see bubble tips... Could there also be a nem back there??

AquaCave Logo Banner

N1tew0lf1212

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

N1tew0lf1212

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the stock tube more rigid or soft that will be the tell i would think xenia are a softer tube while clove have a more solid shell on the tube tube

N1tew0lf1212

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the stock tube more rigid or soft that will be the tell i would think xenia are a softer tube while clove have a more solid shell on the tube tube
Also clove polyps retract completely into there stalk or tube so to speak while xenia does not retract its feathery fingers. Are you able to irritate it and see what it does

N1tew0lf1212

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also clove polyps retract completely into there stalk or tube so to speak while xenia does not retract its feathery fingers. Are you able to irritate it and see what it does

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

View attachment 2933779
Looks like anthellia zenia

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SR
Back