Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel fairly certain that these are baby Ceriths but I wanted to get another opinion. I have both dwarf Ceriths and larger ones in several of my systems, maybe all of them? But I’ve been seeing these guys pop up and they really come out at night for the most part. Let me know what you think!

17207E27-A7F7-4BAD-96F1-F8112F54468C.jpeg 2D24F936-F429-4060-AAB1-6EE555989422.jpeg 4A73C3EA-3EC1-4683-8BE3-380DCE60599A.jpeg

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those don't look like ceriths to me. The shell seems different.

Have you added any rock, frags, or macroalgae recently?
That is what I’m worried about. I have not added anything recently to the two tanks I’ve seen them in. These have been in one of my tanks for at least a year & I really haven’t seen them grow ever. Thankfully, that system is just softies - leathers and Xenia. I just want to be extra sure of what they are because I do have a clam in one of my tanks. I don’t see them in that tank ever.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They don't look like my dove snails babies that roam around my tank. Dove snail's foot extends the length of the shell, not just the top light these photos.

I don't know anything about the dwarf cerith snails life cycle, but it is unlikely to be the normal cerith babies because their eggs hatch into a planktonic stage, which barely survive mechanical filtration. My ceriths lay eggs all of the time, but I don't think they will make it to the stage where you can see them roaming around.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I’m worried about. I have not added anything recently to the two tanks I’ve seen them in. These have been in one of my tanks for at least a year & I really haven’t seen them grow ever. Thankfully, that system is just softies - leathers and Xenia. I just want to be extra sure of what they are because I do have a clam in one of my tanks. I don’t see them in that tank ever.
I suppose you could try an experiment and put the clam and a handful of the snails in a small tank/container and see how the snails behave...

Right now, do they seem to be algaevores?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you could try an experiment and put the clam and a handful of the snails in a small tank/container and see how the snails behave...

Right now, do they seem to be algaevores?
They seem to stay in the rocks and glass, so I would say that they’re eating algae. I’d be afraid to stress my clam out too much by transferring it.

AquaCave Logo Banner

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I'm not as good with snails like these (I tend to struggle with snails that don't have obvious differentiating features) - so I'm not sure on the ID, but the texture of the shell leads me to believe it may be a Cerith.
They don't look like my dove snails babies that roam around my tank. Dove snail's foot extends the length of the shell, not just the top light these photos.

I don't know anything about the dwarf cerith snails life cycle, but it is unlikely to be the normal cerith babies because their eggs hatch into a planktonic stage, which barely survive mechanical filtration. My ceriths lay eggs all of the time, but I don't think they will make it to the stage where you can see them roaming around.
It is unlikely, but I've seen other threads (see below) of dwarf ceriths reproducing quickly in our tanks, and some snails produce benthic larvae (i.e. some snails hatch as fully-formed, crawling subadults rather than planktonic larvae), and some (including some Cerithium spp.) are thought (unconfirmedly at this point) to exhibit poecilogony with some eggs hatching into planktonic larvae and others into benthic subadults.

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, I'm not as good with snails like these (I tend to struggle with snails that don't have obvious differentiating features) - so I'm not sure on the ID, but the texture of the shell leads me to believe it may be a Cerith.

It is unlikely, but I've seen other threads (see below) of dwarf ceriths reproducing quickly in our tanks, and some snails produce benthic larvae (i.e. some snails hatch as fully-formed, crawling subadults rather than planktonic larvae), and some (including some Cerithium spp.) are thought (unconfirmedly at this point) to exhibit poecilogony with some eggs hatching into planktonic larvae and others into benthic subadults.
Learn something new every day. I didn't know anything about the lifecycle of dwarf cerith, but they are on the list of clean up crew members I want to add to my tank for diversity.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting that one of the threads you linked mentioned that they came from reef cleaners as that’s where mine came from too! I suppose I will continue to assume they’re Ceriths unless someone IDs them otherwise. I will be keeping an eye on the tank with the clam though to be sure they’re not on him.

BRS

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that one of the threads you linked mentioned that they came from reef cleaners as that’s where mine came from too! I suppose I will continue to assume they’re Ceriths unless someone IDs them otherwise. I will be keeping an eye on the tank with the clam though to be sure they’re not on him.
RC has sent my the wrong thing before .. not saying this is what happened but their collection team does not always bring in the actual species RC advertises and sells. Buyer beware for sure.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Kinetics
Back