Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to do some demo to add AWC to my tank. Two RO lines and the apex bus cable. Need to go through a few walls but i was thinking about how to hook up my RODI water to my tank or reservoir. Currently I manually fill up my 7 gal reservoir and use a tunze osmolater. I dont thing the Tunze cables are long enough. Need to go about 15 ft. Going from my garage to my kitchen area. Around 15-20 ft run.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Corals.com

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze pump doesn’t draw that much in the way of amps. I have my ato tank in a different room from my display. I just used some decent 12 gauge speaker wire I had laying around to extend the tunze pump wires about 20 feet. I haven’t had any issues over several years. That said, if you’re going through walls get I would recommend getting in wall rated cable. Make sure you get an anti siphon valve for your ato pump if the water level in the ato container can ever be higher than the level you’re pumping into.

Avast

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I would use solenoid valves and level switches for high-low triggers so that your ro fills the tank when low instead of short cycling on and off with only a float switch. Install a float switch higher than the high level sensor as a redundant ro shutoff in the event a solenoid fails open.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit confused. If you're talking AWC then you're going to be using pre-mixed saltwater and not RODI. If you're talking ATO then RODI and that has other planning issues.

I
Yes so two RO lines one salt and one waste. Im just thinking while im at it how would i plumb another line from my RO reservoir to the tank?????

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze pump doesn’t draw that much in the way of amps. I have my ato tank in a different room from my display. I just used some decent 12 gauge speaker wire I had laying around to extend the tunze pump wires about 20 feet. I haven’t had any issues over several years. That said, if you’re going through walls get I would recommend getting in wall rated cable. Make sure you get an anti siphon valve for your ato pump if the water level in the ato container can ever be higher than the level you’re pumping into.
Yes this is what i was curious about. Just put the ATO pump in the garage with the big reservoir and delete the ato bin under the tank all together.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red line is where the lines have to go. Ill most likely go on the other side of the wall as thats where a small bathroom is and obviously the drain. But where the red arrow is is where the RO storage bin is in the garage.

IMG_9803.jpeg

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is what i was curious about. Just put the ATO pump in the garage with the big reservoir and delete the ato bin under the tank all together.
Also tunze does sell a relay kit so that you can use any pump you want if you’re going to pump really far or high. If you’re going to go up into the attic and back down the tunze pump might not work out. Just horizontally from room to room it’s no problem

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also tunze does sell a relay kit so that you can use any pump you want if you’re going to pump really far or high. If you’re going to go up into the attic and back down the tunze pump might not work out. Just horizontally from room to room it’s no problem
I do have the newer DC pump. I was considering going up then down but im 50% sure there is an wooden beam along the top of that wall. So im going to go along the bottom behind the trim.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Leviton low voltage trim rings, and accessories as opposed to just poking holes. I would also recommend pulling a string in with your lines as you may want to add something like dosing or outside skimmer intake line in the future.
Problem is no easy way to do this. Either try to go up and around or through wall and behind the trim. Im trying to minimize the damage and trying to stay married :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is no easy way to do this. Either try to go up and around or through wall and behind the trim. Im trying to minimize the damage and trying to stay married :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Reefing and marriage? Good luck! Ha. For what it’s worth, if your tank stand has a somewhat large rear opening you can poke a hole through the wall from inside the cabinet and not have to worry about the baseboard or making a hole where things can be noticed. It can easily be patched if you ever move the tank.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

apb03

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the easiest way to do it is just to use a dosing pump, that way head pressure won't be an issue and you don't have to worry about power control at the reservoir side. I don't use Netpune gear but if I were trying to do it with Neptune, I suppose you need one of their power bricks near your reservoir and tell it to turn on a pump when you need RODI water.

I currently just use an IM Hyrdofil that turns on my dosing pump (Ecotech Versa) that's set to continuous mode. It can pull 15ft with no problem.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back