Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assure you I searched for an hour before starting this thread; is there a table of average alk/cal/mag dosing per tank size in reef keeping? I know every tank is different, but I'd like to think there's ballpark numbers for lets say, mixed reef 65 gal there's an average dose of ___, ___, and ___.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assure you I searched for an hour before starting this thread; is there a table of average alk/cal/mag dosing per tank size in reef keeping? I know every tank is different, but I'd like to think there's ballpark numbers for lets say, mixed reef 65 gal there's an average dose of ___, ___, and ___.

Typical reef tanks consume 0.3 to 3 dKH per day of alk, and a commensurate amount of calcium (2-20 ppm) and magnesium (0-2 ppm) per day.

OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical reef tanks consume 0.3 to 3 dKH per day of alk, and a commensurate amount of calcium (2-20 ppm) and magnesium (0-2 ppm) per day.
Thanks. My tank has about 6 SPS frags, few LPS and decent amount of macro algae and seems like 40ml of mag daily in a 65g keeps it steady but seemed like a lot.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My tank has about 6 SPS frags, few LPS and decent amount of macro algae and seems like 40ml of mag daily in a 65g keeps it steady but seemed like a lot.

What else are you dosing?

OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else are you dosing?
I have 2 part Ionic that I use 30ml every Wednesday manually to keep me at 8.5dkh and 410cal. I perform 10gal water changes every saturday. I added Fluval Magnesium 40ml every other day last week bc my Salifert test kept the results at 1260ish and 2 days without it registered 1210. I misspoke about every day.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 part Ionic that I use 30ml every Wednesday manually to keep me at 8.5dkh and 410cal. I perform 10gal water changes every saturday. I added Fluval Magnesium 40ml every other day last week bc my Salifert test kept the results at 1260ish and 2 days without it registered 1210. I misspoke about every day.

What brand of two part? How much of the alk part every day?

I'd stop using the Fluval. It's not the best formulation, and I cannot find a potency for it so it may be doing almost nothing useful.

I'm skeptical that you have substantial excess magnesium demand.

OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of two part? How much of the alk part every day?

I'd stop using the Fluval. It's not the best formulation, and I cannot find a potency for it so it may be doing almost nothing useful.

I'm skeptical that you have substantial excess magnesium demand.
Thanks! I'm migrating to an Aquaforest line of supplies anyways so I'll use it till the good stuff arrives

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s is hardly anything livestock wise. I absolutely can’t believe that your 10g weekly water change isn’t keeping up with your demand currently. Do you have a whole bunch of coraline?

how old is your tank?

you sure you’re not making testing errors?

Top Shelf Aquatics

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm migrating to an Aquaforest line of supplies anyways so I'll use it till the good stuff arrives
Honestly, Mg drops so slowly in most tanks you can almost not worry about it.

In my 75 gal tank I dose the equivalent of about 300ml of Aquaforest Components Pro 1,2 3 every day and check my Mg about every 2 months. If it's dropped by 80-120ppm, I add sufficient Mg over a couple of days to bump it back up to around 1300-1350.

OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s is hardly anything livestock wise. I absolutely can’t believe that your 10g weekly water change isn’t keeping up with your demand currently. Do you have a whole bunch of coraline?

how old is your tank?

you sure you’re not making testing errors?
I am using a salifert test and am METICULOUS. I added a decent amount of red macroalgae to the display and I thought that might be it bc I've never done that before. I think based on the responses here I'm going to circle back after my new mg arrives.
Tank is 5 months old.
Salt is currently IO Reef Crystals but it's leaving this weird brown residue and I ordered AF Reef Salt too

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind that small changes in salinity can impact magnesium measurements. A drop in salinity from sg = 1.026 to sg = 1.025 will drop magnesium from 1300 ppm to 250 ppm, even though no magnesium was consumed.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
FishTrader

FishTrader

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind that small changes in salinity can impact magnesium measurements. A drop in salinity from sg = 1.026 to sg = 1.025 will drop magnesium from 1300 ppm to 250 ppm, even though no magnesium was consumed.
I found this chart another reefer posted and the dropoff is the month after he added macro algae. I'm thinking this could be it.

MGchart.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this chart another reefer posted and the dropoff is the month after he added macro algae. I'm thinking this could be it.

View attachment 3124207

Not sure what you are suggesting, but no macroalgae takes up large amounts of magnesium, and those rare ones that do calcify (such as Halimeda) take up far more calcium and a boatload of alk.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back