Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this AV99 Orange Crush, it was a near fresh cut about one week healed, maybe. It went into the display 12/21/21 and has exploded off the plug and onto the rocks as of today. At lights off through the night it has polyp extension people like myself dream of getting..

Pause here to let the universe know I am not complaining, whatsoever. ;)

I am however asking if there is a set of parameters that you could share where during the normal daytime achieve good polyp extension with this particular acropora.

Tank params:

Temp
78-79ish I'll be honest it can drift here depending on season but never anything sustained dangerous.

Basics
Fully mixed reef 250g, one side is everything that isn't SPS and the other is converting to 100% SPS.

Tank age 3.5yrs total - 1.5 years almost to the day from a reboot regarding going to no water changes.

Lighting
3 x 18" sbreef extreme 100% blue 75% white
2 x t5 ATI coral plus
SAL 1.025-6 I've run both equal, no difference
PH 8.0
AMM 0
TRITES 0
TRATES 8.8-10.5 - just depends which measurement of food i make at daily feeding. I put a considerable amount in but I also move a ton of waste out as well.
PHOS .03 ish.. again it can jiggle a bit but nothing crazy.
MAG 1450
CAL 500 nearly the life of the tank
ALK 9.5 (usually) it's 8.3 as of 10am this morning.

ICP tests indicate nothing above or below what would be considered fine for anything.

Dosing
Calcium hydroxide in ATO reservoir
Red sea ABCD 10ml every other week to make myself feel better.. Everything looked beautiful with just kalkwasser for a year I've only recently added the red sea trace.

I have been trying controlled tests running my alk from as high as 10.5 all the way down to where I'm at. This took about 3 months and I swear to god I cannot get any polyp extension from acros like AV99 Orange crush except from a bunch of no name tenius.

Another one is JF Flame along with the AV99 OC.. They grow phenomenally fat, fast and have exceptional color, just absolutely no polyp extension ;( is this just one of those things?

Picture of tank as of this post, things are a bit pulled in I had to feed and bumped a few..

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

20220321_153929.jpg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Arego

Arego

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List of fish in the tank, any angel fish by chance?

corey
No angels. 2 tangs, 1 trigger, 1 porcu puffer, hawkfish, 3 clowns, mandarins and the other 12 are wrasse of all kinds and that is all. All model citizens from what I can see.. no marks on the sps like I would typically see if one of them took a taste.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally normal for a coral to have little to no PE during the day. In fact, in the wild that's often the case. Night time PE is a more common occurrence. I know that we get very accustomed to seeing the PE at all times in all these sps tanks, but that doesn't mean there's anything to worry about.

Keep an eye out for any tissue recession or the polyps to not extend at night. That's what would be a cause for concern.

World Wide Corals
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Bulk Reef Supply
Back