ATO that uses mechanical float switches like JBJ ?

AI Hydra

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using JBJ ATO units with mechanical float switches for years and they just work. I cover the float switches with pantyhose when installed and have one that has been in the sump for almost 5 years and never been cleaned so I have faith in them. I do not have confidence in the cool optical sensors. But I'm not really into new high tech stuff. I manually dose, have no controller etc. I'm looking for an ato for a new build and have found that the jbj units are discontinued. Does anyone know of a similar unit that is available. I have used one from autotopoff.com and while it works I'm looking for something a little "cleaner" that doesn't look like a diy.

float switch.jpg

Avast

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Neptune AT 2 (or whatever it’s called). I am not super impressed by the quality of the module, but the optical sensors work as advertised for me, and it does have a float as an emergency back up. It runs primarily on the lower optical sensor, which is the water level. If for some reason it goes above that sensor and reaches the 2nd optical sensor, the module cuts off the pump and starts beeping. If, for some reason it DOESNT turn off the pump, there is a mechanical float that physically blocks the flow.

I’ve heard a lot of complaints about assembly though. Seems they’re not all put together equally. The float/sensor assembly was put together correctly on mine, but several others report optical sensors mounted in the wrong positions (the lower sensor being mounted on the upper part) or sensors pointing the wrong way. It was finicky to dial in, but once i did, it’s been flawless for the last 8 months. I do not know of any others that use an actual mechanical float switch though.

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not affiliated, and have never order, but I hear good things:

EDIT: I also have one of those JBJ ones, bought it new from my local fish store a few months ago. . . and it kinda rocks!

Corals.com

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart ato System, Aquarium Auto Top Off System, Fish Tank Sump Water Filler Refiller, Automatic ATO System for Aquarium with Pump,Water replenishment system, DIGITEN Smart ato System for fish tank https://a.co/d/2Ff1cxZ

I have kept these around for about 5 years now. Its about as simple as it gets for a ato and is reasonably priced, they were 30 bucks when I bought the original one. None failed, just sold it and rebought another one. I run a apex on both tanks now, but if I need to set up a 3rd tank, it gets put back into service.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw you don't like optical but still the only ATO I ever recommend is the Tunze osmolator. Mechanical, optical and many fail safes. One of those mechanical ones completely wiped out a tank of mine years ago and never trusted since.
I was looking at the osmolator but don't want to spend $200+ for an ATO. I also find it interesting that they use optical sensors but the failsafe is a good ol fashioned float switch :thinking-face: I've been using the jbj units for over 7 years and the only failure I have had was a controller that got wet. The float switch shown below has been there going on 5 years and never been cleaned so I'm a believer in mechanical vs optical. 20230321_123708.jpg
Wrapped in with one if these when I installed it
20230321_123727.jpg

Last edited:
Avast
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back