asterina stars gota go, where to buy a Harlequin?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats it, those asterina stars have got to go.

"something" seems to have a taste for my palys, most prominantly me PE types.

i'm willing to try anything out to figure out who the real culprit is. i've already done multiple dips on these colonies and nothing seems to work.

so i'm gonna try out a Harlequin shrimp. trick is, have very RARELY seen one for sale locally. anyone know where i can buy one online (that has it in stock)?

Corals.com

JGoslee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of my PE's have been getting picked on also. I was thinking it was due to my pod population. Recently I put all my fish into QT. 2 of the fish that got quarantined were a 6-line wrasse and a green mandarin. Since the QT my PE's have been closing. My pod population has exploded to the point where I look at a colony and see pods all over it. I have one of my cichlid tanks close by. If I think a colony has to many pods I usually just give it a dip in the cichlid tankwater for a few seconds.

AS
AquaCave Logo Banner

plaz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ordered from them, but Saltwaterfish.com has them. LA has them sometimes. I have aesterinas too, but mine don't seem to bother anything unless it is dead/dying. I think/hope I got lucky and just have the algae eaters. I have a Blue Linkia, so a Harlequin Shrimp is not something I can try.

Corals.com

Smarsh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, I think I said that wrong, they feast mainly on the legs. I was under the impression it was the little sucker/feely part (because I don't know the techincal name of those) on the starfish legs. But they may eat the whole thing. I know that the Harlequin do feed the starfish while they are feeding on it to keep it alive. Might have to look this up just so I know. I have seen the Harlequins eating chocolate chip stars. Maybe they prefer Linkia or maybe those Harlequins were starving and eating anything, not sure.

Sandy

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Harlequins for a while and they will eat any starfish and all of it. They start with the legs so they can keep the star alive while they eat it. I did notice that when I didnt have a star for them to eat they would hunt down the asterina.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Buckeye
Back