Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this little dude in my tank and the wife didnt want me to flush him so I set him out in the bay. See if you can find him in the sand of the bay...

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Found this little dude in my tank and the wife didnt want me to flush him so I set him out in the bay. See if you can find him in the sand of the bay...

View attachment 3151909

View attachment 3151910View attachment 3151911

View attachment 3151913
Asterina while cute can haunt you. They break off a leg and form a new star. Both then break off a leg and form 2 more and so forth. They feast on zoa coral, end up in your plumbing, clog pump intakes and more.
I eliminate them as I find them. I remove by hand or a small 2" brine shrimp net and discard.
About 4 years ago had two that got to a size of a nickel and took down an entire colony of bam Bam zoas. I havent had any in almost 2 years

OP
OP
WarChief

WarChief

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina while cute can haunt you. They break off a leg and form a new star. Both then break off a leg and form 2 more and so forth. They feast on zoa coral, end up in your plumbing, clog pump intakes and more.
I eliminate them as I find them. I remove by hand or a small 2" brine shrimp net and discard.
About 4 years ago had two that got to a size of a nickel and took down an entire colony of bam Bam zoas. I havent had any in almost 2 years
Thats why its swimming in the Chesapeake bay now. If I happen to see another I will get a shrimp to take care of them.

CLICK TO VIEW

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thats why its swimming in the Chesapeake bay now. If I happen to see another I will get a shrimp to take care of them.
Unless you have many, harlequin shrimp will soon starve unless you go out and buy a chocolate chip star to keep it fed

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I believe harlequin shrimp is the only one that eats starfish. It is the only thing they eat so it would starve unless you supplement feeding them starfish. Netting the astrina as you see them would probably be better. They appear in all of my tanks eventually.

OP
OP
WarChief

WarChief

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I believe harlequin shrimp is the only one that eats starfish. It is the only thing they eat so it would starve unless you supplement feeding them starfish. Netting the astrina as you see them would probably be better. They appear in all of my tanks eventually.
I netted it and took it put it out in the bay. Thats the plan unless it gets out of hand.

World Wide Corals
Top Shelf Aquatics

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats insane!!!
That's just a few of the many lol. They are from my oldest system. The glass is pretty much covered in the morning but they tend to move off of the glass when lights come on. I've never had them bother anything but in my 2 other tanks I grab them every time I see them. I have to do it when my Gal isn't home though or she try to shame me into putting them in the 180g vs the trash :zany-face:

OP
OP
WarChief

WarChief

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just a few of the many lol. They are from my oldest system. The glass is pretty much covered in the morning but they tend to move off of the glass when lights come on. I've never had them bother anything but in my 2 other tanks I grab them every time I see them. I have to do it when my Gal isn't home though or she try to shame me into putting them in the 180g vs the trash :zany-face:
My wife made me take it and put it in the bay so it had a chance to live lol

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back