Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and we should also be able to use alternatives to PayPal like Gab Pay. We shouldn't be forced into one payment method with a company if we don't like or support their business practices.
It's about buyer protection, not just restricting for the sake of it.

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supply a driver's license or similar ID and kept in a file offline by a mod. only if verification is needed for selling or buying would the file be accessed by mods, and issue a verification note (this is a verified user) to the person requesting it, but no information to be passed on.
Providing a DL to a public forum is a non-starter for me.

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just noticed this and I jumped on it lol. All I can say is verification on a platform like this is completely pointless. I’m verified on social media as an adoption advocate and freelance journalist. The entire point of verification which has become a coveted badge and still is…is to verify the authenticity of public figures/brands who are highly likely to be impersonated who have a certain amount of news coverage and credibility in their industry. Many brands and people without news coverage and/or who don’t have Wikipedia pages are not eligible no matter how many followers they have. There’s different avenues people have taken over the years to attain this whether submitting it or having private access to the verification form/and Twitter representatives for record labels and modeling agencies or requesting it on the platform portal by submitting a goverment issued ID. Personally I love being verified on social media as and only .1% of users have attained this and content ranks the highest on Facebook and Instagram for with certain features are only available to verified users. Verification over the years has changed significantly especially on Twitter although I don’t mind paying $8 a month it’s not what it used to be. Again verification was originally meant prevent impersonation and label certain accounts as authentic but it has become much more over the years and scammers claiming to represent the social media sites have taken abuse of the system. And in my opinion this will do nothing to this platform…badges and reviews are much better.
certified badge sounds so much better than a checkmark

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Yes and we should also be able to use alternatives to PayPal like Gab Pay. We shouldn't be forced into one payment method with a company if we don't like or support their business practices.

There are several companies you can use. We will add any companies to our list that can be used on our platform that offers buyer protection. If you have a list of those you would like us to allow that does this please message me with them! :)

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
certified badge sounds so much better than a checkmark
Yes they do and reviews are helpful along with other limits on who can sell.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
supply a driver's license or similar ID and kept in a file offline by a mod. only if verification is needed for selling or buying would the file be accessed by mods, and issue a verification note (this is a verified user) to the person requesting it, but no information to be passed on.

That's not something we would do. This is why we would use a third party but this convo is actually evolving into something better IMO!

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think generally if it's a relatively reasonable 1 time fee I'd be happy with it and it would make me more comfortable buying from someone. Outside external verification, the biggest thing I'd want included is a requirement of being an active established account with a certain number of posts and time since creation. Just makes the whole process easier to follow.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Yes they do and reviews are helpful along with other limits on who can sell.

Hey I'm not married to the term "verified!"

We could call it anything really. Peer Reviewed, peer trusted etc..

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something like "trusted seller" after several positive reviews and a vetting would mean more to me than verified

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the thread so far, I have the following opinions:
1) the general populous or at least buying populous would need to easily know the verification process. Clarity that you, rev, have offered about it being a third party that verifies is helpful, but I also wonder what the process actually confirms.
2) as some have suggested, this could lead to some people being unable to sell through the forum. If only verified sellers get sales, and the way to get verified is to sell, then new people will never become sellers. or those, like I will soon be, with only one thing every now and again to sell will have no chance because the culture becomes "unverified sellers are likely scammers".

There isn't really a perfect system online. Thank you for trying to make it better/more reliable/less stressful. I was, and still am a little nervous. sending payment though for something that will be shipped after it is received.

And the seller trusts me not to lie about the box I got. Trust is a two-way street.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be interested in the details of this. While this would not guarantee an accurate transaction, I think most would agree if someone was "verified" in some way they would feel more comfortable. There is always going to be a risk.

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you set on the check marks which trust me is all scammers are going to care about lol? Again I like this forum because it isn’t social media and the blue checkmarks make it feel like it is. I like the badges better!:)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're not forced to use any particular company. The rule is that any payment system used must offer buyer protection.

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not forced to use any particular company. The rule is that any payment system used must offer buyer protection.
To add to this in order to truly protect people. Any platform would have to be like Facebook Marketplace, eBay, Mercari, etc. where the third party being the platform has a guarantee and a system acting as the middleman which refunds people for defective products, fake listings, etc. which is just not realistic for a platform like this.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Are you set on the check marks which trust me is all scammers are going to care about lol? Again I like this forum because it isn’t social media and the blue checkmarks make it feel like it is. I like the badges better!:)

It could be a little icon next to your name, something like that. Not sure though!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm liking this the more I think about it!
Can I suggest instead of a check mark we get a Mr. Clownfish badge….?
Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Does Mr. Clownfish have a name?
29C1F763-6A33-4B22-8178-5B7DCE230A2E.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@revhtree ,let's say i sent you a pump through usps insured for value, provide you snapshot of receipt, you receive and are satisfied ,wouldn't that count as an acceptable transaction?

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Selfishly I do kind of think it would be hilarious if you scrapped the idea and instead the only verified account on the website was your own

kados

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had zero issues with Seller's on R2R. All my beef is with Buyers. I'll get 2-3 New Member PMs saying I'll take it! Then dissappear and get stuck trying to navigate being fair to the next person while in limbo. Not exactly the topic here but just a pain point. Even if you send your PayPal in the reply, you may not hear back for days. Then run the risk of moving on to a new sale and having two payments sent. I have mitigated that by sending a PM that I've moved on... but again just a thought.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back