Are those some kind of the worms on my live rock? Are them good, bad or neither?

MikeCRK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Today when one of my hermits decided to parade over paly colony I have noticed clearly something I was on about for a few weeks now.
In between the polyps there are some kind of long branches, like pipes made out of sand stuck to it. I tried to take a photo of the 1 inch long, hair thin 'tentacles' coming out of those, very similar to the ones the clams have. Palys and near-by zoas are not bothered with them and apart from any accidental irritation or feeding when the polyps are closed you cannot see anything.

Let me try to show these on the photos (sorry I tried my best!)

Here what are those 'pipes' like:

worm1.jpg

and below I tried to capture the thin hair kind a tentacles coming out from it (them show during the feeding time usually):

worm2.jpg

To prove that zoas and palys are not bothered, this is how they usually present in that corner all the time:

cb8c449ee7e1d53a198ca41dbd6e457c.jpg

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi,

Today when one of my hermits decided to parade over paly colony I have noticed clearly something I was on about for a few weeks now.
In between the polyps there are some kind of long branches, like pipes made out of sand stuck to it. I tried to take a photo of the 1 inch long, hair thin 'tentacles' coming out of those, very similar to the ones the clams have. Palys and near-by zoas are not bothered with them and apart from any accidental irritation or feeding when the polyps are closed you cannot see anything.

Let me try to show these on the photos (sorry I tried my best!)

Here what are those 'pipes' like:

View attachment 3091045

and below I tried to capture the thin hair kind a tentacles coming out from it (them show during the feeding time usually):

View attachment 3091047

To prove that zoas and palys are not bothered, this is how they usually present in that corner all the time:

cb8c449ee7e1d53a198ca41dbd6e457c.jpg
If theyre moving, pics are blurry but appear to be Nudibranchs which i would siphon out and discard ASAP

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If theyre moving, pics are blurry but appear to be Nudibranchs which i would siphon out and discard ASAP

yeah, the 'shell/cast' does not move at all. The hair tentacle kinda thing are swiping the area around occasionally, but not visible most of the time. The 'hair' comes out from the end only.

they seem to reside in the front/left section. I have seen the tubes some time ago but ignored them.

alltank.jpg

I checked Nudibranchs online, this is absolutely nothing close to it. The tubes/shells are clearly visible on the first photo (white stuff). The hair-thin tentacle comes out from the end of it. I have seen similar ones on some youtube videos about the clams. They look a like.

Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up hydroids and see if that's what you are looking at. There are a ton of different hydroids, some look like a white thin thread with little hairs along it. It extends then snaps back to it's hiding hole.

nope, not hydroid at all, not even close to them. edit: do not have the crown, do not live in colonies, they rather look like tubes made out of sand, like branches. Single one tentacle swiping the area around from time to time. All nearby coral are not bothered with them at all.

I checked @twentyleagues and @RedoubtReef advices and THANK YOU! Spot on! No fire in the house!

It is a fresh tank, my first as well and on ocean water. So many critters appearing that I am getting lost hahaha So far none of them any way harmful!

Once again thank you!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back