Are my rhodactis mushrooms reaching for more light?

fourfootreefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First reef tank and first time posting so hello all :). I have a 33long so short tank with vparspectra at 10% blue 10% white 12'' above tank. I put these (I believe rhodactis) mushrooms on this rock a few weeks ago. Do they look like they are stretching to get more light? I have the whole tank on the lowest setting for acclimating the string of new corals I'll be adding.
mushroom0.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it to me, but definitely take it slow when you bump up. Vipars definitely like to create hot spots in the tank and any area that falls into that will bump faster. I used these lights on my initial tank, they worked beautifully - but I had 3 spots I couldn't grow anything because they were significantly higher par than anywhere else - to the point it didnt make sense.

OP
OP
F

fourfootreefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it to me, but definitely take it slow when you bump up. Vipars definitely like to create hot spots in the tank and any area that falls into that will bump faster. I used these lights on my initial tank, they worked beautifully - but I had 3 spots I couldn't grow anything because they were significantly higher par than anywhere else - to the point it didnt make sense.
I thought I got the newest model, so I guess the older ones could be adjusted to 1% intensity difference, but mine are only at 10% intervals. Seems like a slipup. I have them on 12hrs a day - 9am - 9pm at 10% blue and 3pm-7pm at 10% white.

I'm assuming these spots of higher intensity are around the center or in a line in the center? Could I just put higher light requiring corals in this area like acros or possibly a chalice? I haven't been reefing long so I'm still learning and figuring what growth rate, coloration, and activities they should have and trying to adjust my lighting & flow accordingly.

I have a stupid spot in the middle that's getting a bit blocked by the crossbeam, should I try growing my toadstool there or give up for a while and add a dendro or gorgonian in 6-9 months?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back