Are my clownfish lulling me into a false sense of security?

Nutramar

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always tell people how docile and friendly my clownfish are and I feel nobody ACTUALLY believes me.

Well today I had to move some frags, so I (very poorly) filmed my clowns reaction with my other hand. This is typical behaviour, they love to come and hang out with my hand and watch what I’m doing, on this occasion they even touched me several times whether on purpose or by accident. Maybe they think I’m an anemone LOL.

This is a two parter

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish used to attack me when they were in a 29 biocube now they’re in a 210 and pay no attention to me or other fish.
I’d hate to say it’s a “happiness” thing because that would discredit all the wonderful reefers who keep amazing tanks with clowns who are super aggressive. Maybe they feel they have enough territory and aren’t competing for more?

I could do the same thing with their anemone and they wouldn’t bat an eye lid though

Avast

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d hate to say it’s a “happiness” thing because that would discredit all the wonderful reefers who keep amazing tanks with clowns who are super aggressive. Maybe they feel they have enough territory and aren’t competing for more?

I could do the same thing with their anemone and they wouldn’t bat an eye lid though
Mine are constantly spawning though so their attention may be going to that.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trained my nipper to stay sway from my hand by feeding at the opposite corner of the tank I'm working on WHILE my hands are in the water. Now hands are associated with feeding treats... but over somewhere else. The hand is a terrible treat.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trained my nipper to stay sway from my hand by feeding at the opposite corner of the tank I'm working on WHILE my hands are in the water. Now hands are associated with feeding treats... but over somewhere else. The hand is a terrible treat.
One hand giveth while the other taketh away

j.falk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circling me like a shark, one day I’ll think all is well and then he’ll take a finger lol
That's the truth...with my last pair the female ALWAYS bit me every time I put my hand in the tank. The first time it happened it spooked me and I splashed water everywhere. LOL

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

Mhamilton0911

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 very different pairs. The first 2 are like yours, docile. I've never been nipped or really even looked at. The second pair use to bite me anytime I was in the tank. However, pair 2 was in a 7g, so not huge, and had a bta they loved. I'm assuming were protecting their home. Now I've moved pair 2 to an Evo, and the bta didn't make it so now the more aggressive pair isn't biting like they used to. So either it was the bta that got them all feisty or the lack of space in the smaller tank made them more aggressive. At least in my case.

Before I got pair 2 I didn't realize so many people get bitten by their clown fish, since my first pair were nice puppies. Now I believe the stories. Never drew blood, but made me jump.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 very different pairs. The first 2 are like yours, docile. I've never been nipped or really even looked at. The second pair use to bite me anytime I was in the tank. However, pair 2 was in a 7g, so not huge, and had a bta they loved. I'm assuming were protecting their home. Now I've moved pair 2 to an Evo, and the bta didn't make it so now the more aggressive pair isn't biting like they used to. So either it was the bta that got them all feisty or the lack of space in the smaller tank made them more aggressive. At least in my case.

Before I got pair 2 I didn't realize so many people get bitten by their clown fish, since my first pair were nice puppies. Now I believe the stories. Never drew blood, but made me jump.

I'd be more inclined to go with it being the lack of space, I have a RBTA in mine that hosts the clowns and they're harmless, even when touching/being near the anemone on rare occasions I have for feeding and such. But they have plenty of space in 43gal.

I think in the 7g anytime you put your hand in you were directly in their home, where as in a bigger tank you're near their home but not always sticking your hands in it and wrecking the place

Mhamilton0911

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more inclined to go with it being the lack of space, I have a RBTA in mine that hosts the clowns and they're harmless, even when touching/being near the anemone on rare occasions I have for feeding and such. But they have plenty of space in 43gal.

I think in the 7g anytime you put your hand in you were directly in their home, where as in a bigger tank you're near their home but not always sticking your hands in it and wrecking the place
Agreed, I think the space was an issue. They seem much happier now.

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back