Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am going to be getting a frogfish but I notice when I click to buy a wartskin frogfish it says expert only. I have done research but im confused. Is there a difference between taking care of a painted frogfish vs a wartskin? Because I couldnt really find anything different between the two.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am going to be getting a frogfish but I notice when I click to buy a wartskin frogfish it says expert only. I have done research but im confused. Is there a difference between taking care of a painted frogfish vs a wartskin? Because I couldnt really find anything different between the two.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've never been good at telling some species of frogfish apart. The warty is supposed to be Antennarius maculatus, while the painted is A. pictus. They are so variable in color that it may also be that dealers also mix them up.

IMO - all frogfish are pretty delicate long term in aquariums, even when kept in single species tanks. Try as I might, I don't think I've ever kept one longer than 2 years. The species that has consistently done the best for me is the striated anglerfish.

They are prone to marine ich, but it is difficult to treat them for that. The long term problems with them seems to be diet related. Two main issues: they tend to get fed too often and develop hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) and then, the food they are fed is an issue; don't feed them freshwater fish, or fish that are high in thiaminase. Live marine fish augmented with live glass shrimp is probably the best diet.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tropic Marin USA
Back