Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Salinity for over a year now. My tank seems to always run on the low side for Ph - typically in the range of 7.5-7.9. I was talking to a friend who also uses the same mix, and he mentioned that his Ph was always on the low side.

Do other people using Salinity also have Ph running on the low side? Just curious what others are seeing. I don't have a problem with Ph being on the low range.

Thanks in advance

AquaCave Logo Banner

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is basically just a function of Alkalinity and CO2.

@arking_mark has done some nice threads on the issue and demonstrates the results of the calculations.
Check it out here.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-simple-way-to-assess-your-ph-measurements.963037/post-11007833

Do you and your friend both like the alkalinity level of this salt mix? If it's low, then expect pH to be low as a consequence. if Alk is right where you want it, then indoor CO2 is likely dragging your water pH down (if pH is accurate).

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the same salt for many years and never have tested ph for the longest time .
knowing it naturally fluctuates from day to night .
it can be stabilized using a light over cheato on opposite lighting schedule .
my dt is close to a exit door which is frequently opened from taking the dog outside , or as we go outside often .
Our bedroom window is open a little all year to allow fresh air in ( even in our cold Canadian winter .
Unless you’re chasing ph numbers in hopes what ever you’re testing with is accurate . I would maintain Alk and cal stable along with salinity and assume ph is where it’s going to be .

BRS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted, pH after aeration is not a function of the salt mix aside from its alkalinity. :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back