• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Aquatic Obsessed + Joe Knows Reefs mini growout

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all I'd like to thank R2R and the Rev for providing us a place to buy, trade and sell some great pieces. Meeting people here and gaining knowledge has made it my favorite place on the internet. Secondly, I'd like to thank two different vendors for their great communication, prices and amazing corals. One R2R vendor wasn't enough :wink: so a local friend I met on here (Cryptics) and I decided to buy from two of them. Thank you Aquatic Obsessed and Joe Knows Reefs for some great communication, excellent prices and amazing pieces. As some of you may know, I brought together the Rok city Growout almost one year ago and though there have been bumps along the road, we are getting close to finishing up and distributing many of the pieces we've collected. John(Cryptics) and I have decided due to the amount of troubled growouts, to keep this between two people. With chalices, some species are extremely slow growers or overly sensitive, taking sometimes years to grow out. With only 2 people growing together, it will make it immensly easier to communicate and distribute the pieces and of course, this thread will provide a place to post pictures, updates and info. On the side I'm also growing out several pieces with my good friend Bill (salty dog) and I promise to pay special attention and care to every piece I'm growing, as well as continuing to devote most of my time encouraging their growth and continued health. I'm a very hands on grower, never go on vacation :cry: and test constantly. Anyway, communication is key so as always, any of you guys can contact me at anytime of the day, via pm's, telephone or instant message on my phone. Also, my home and systems are available to you guys for inspection at anytime.

Grower - Me :bigsmile: (If I run into trouble, I can drop off the pieces to John and he can help).

members of the Aquatic Obsessed and Joe Knows Reefs mini growout - Cryptics and Fab1971

approximate number of pieces being grown 10-15

estimated time of the growout 4-8 months

tank specifics - 29 gallon grow out tank, only running 2 bulbs, ati blue plus and coral plus along with an led strip. Pictures will be taken with a canon eos rebel xti.

Parameters - salinity 1.027, calcium 425-450, magnesium 1350-1400, ph 8.1-8.2, alk 7.5-8

Last edited by a moderator:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices in the growout are

JF Crazy Fox
SC Flash Bomb
Tyree EE Merlins chalice
Joe's Captain America chalice
JKR Freebie Chalice
AO's MSB chalice
CB Blue Crush
Hydrogen Bomb chalice
JF Biohazzard
WWC Fireball chalice
KLR Cosmic fire
klr Fruit bomb
Effrains Criminal Minds

AquaCave Logo Banner

1Snapple

3g Picotope
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice growout, and definately some sweet pieces for sure! KLRs fruit bomb is sick, you couldnt con him out of a frag of his blue w/ green stripes chalice though could ya?

Good luck guys.

AS

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm glad to be able to help you guys out Frank! Now I do have one very important thing to say...

664545d1332916450-seawolf-black-dial-stencil-there-gold-color-logo-version-silver-logo-version-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures.jpg

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm glad to be able to help you guys out Frank! Now I do have one very important thing to say...

664545d1332916450-seawolf-black-dial-stencil-there-gold-color-logo-version-silver-logo-version-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures.jpg

Lol, thanks for that Joe but I'm done taking pictures with my junkie point and shoot camera. Finally upgraded to a nice cannon and lens + tripod and I'm waiting for all of it to get here later this week. Once I start shooting pics though, I won't be able to stop :tongue:

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, thanks for that Joe but I'm done taking pictures with my junkie point and shoot camera. Finally upgraded to a nice cannon and lens + tripod and I'm waiting for all of it to get here later this week. Once I start shooting pics though, I won't be able to stop :tongue:

Can't wait :wink:

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Carlos and Joe. My new camera isn't in yet but at least I got the lens :) In the meantime I took some pics with my old point of sale camera and for now that will have to do. Waiting on some pieces from Aquatic Obsessed but I was sent a teaser of what one of them looked like and permission to post the picture. Thanks goes out to KLR and Emmoney for some more goodies :)

Hydrogen Bomb

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56137037@N06/6968005764/
Flash Bomb (already 2 eyes)

flash.jpg

captain america (second eye forming)

e.jpg

Freebie chalice (is there a name, need to ask Joe?)

ccc.jpg

tyree merlin (was stressed when it arrived but is now coloring up and looking better)

b-1.jpg

Crazy Fox

c-1.jpg

Fruit bomb

ssss.jpg

Couldn't get a good picture of the criminal minds and cosmic fire but as soon as my new camera gets here I'll get them both.

Avast
OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Frank! Why do I have the feeling that before you are done there will be more like 50 chalices in this growout!! :tongue:

Oh no way, lol. This is it brother. Any more and it becomes harder to maintain. Plus my wife would definitely kick me out of the house. I think this one will be done fairly quickly. Once that happens I can organize another one :)

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats that supposed to mean?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

There's been several growouts that have been ending badly as of late. Luckily the ones that we're in are doing fine. Even Rokcity with over 60+ pieces, where we've had deaths along the way, is still doing well and it's almost been a year :) I think local growouts and less people are key to sucess. loading up some pics now with my new camera. hopefully they came out better than yesterdays :(

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new camera and lens so I'm still on a learning curve but at least the pictures are more crisp and cleaner. Only got a couple in, sorry. I will take more next week once I get better at it.

Flash
IMG_9397.jpg

captain america

IMG_9561.jpg

cosmic fire - the one in the middle

IMG_9634.jpg

crazy fox

IMG_9539.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

KLR

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to see the chalices are doing well so far! After this growout and the other one you are in is over, you will have a really sick collection!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back