Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... after suffering a devastating loss due to a power failure I am in the mood to try more of a negative space/open aquascape. My leather corals and Colorado BTA's survived and seem tough enough that I'm not to worried about ticking them off moving stuff around (BTA's can move if they don't like it.)

Has anyone done an aquascape on existing LR? I ordered some 1/2" ceramic rod, Reef epoxy and cement and superglue. My thought do a water change but use some old tank water in a 30 gallon tote and do the drilling/fitting in the tote then glue together in the tanks. Any other thoughts on how to go about this without killing the BTA's attached to the rock?

Here is what I'm working with now (forgive the glass block window reflection):
IMG_0153.jpeg

Stephen Glover

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done it many times over the years. Use a big container and remove the anemones and other fragile stuff while you are working. I have never epoxied my rocks together just make a stable base and stack. That way if you don’t like it you can re-arrange.

Tbell805

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend gravel vaccuming the sand as much as possible leading up to the change. That way when you disturb the sand a bit as you rearrange you don't cause a cycle/algae bloom. I'd check out some videos on creating a negative space scape so that you can get an idea of the style you want to go for. A tip I got was to put blue painters tape on the outside of the tank to make a grid and figure out the natural focal points.

OP
OP
Ann Enomy

Ann Enomy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend gravel vaccuming the sand as much as possible leading up to the change. That way when you disturb the sand a bit as you rearrange you don't cause a cycle/algae bloom. I'd check out some videos on creating a negative space scape so that you can get an idea of the style you want to go for. A tip I got was to put blue painters tape on the outside of the tank to make a grid and figure out the natural focal points.
Iv'e been doing just that, but because of the mass carnage that just happened in the tank. but I think I will start pulling up a couple rocks and vacuuming under the islands now that you mention it. Still doing 20 gallon daily water changes to keep the nitrates and phosphates low as the tank continues to process the death.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back