Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’ve been reefing with all in one tanks for the past few years just getting into the hobby and I definitely got the reefing bug. I have a fluval evo 13.5 gallon and a 32 gallon biocube and I love them but I feel like I’m running out of space and I just want to use what I’ve learned to set up something of my own rather than an all in one. I’m looking to start gathering the stuff for it slowly as I know it will be expensive and just want some opinions on equipment and stuff. Right now I’m looking at the 108 gallon internal overflow Fiji cube from brs. I’m likely planning on building my own stand with my dad to save some money but I’m curious about what some sump options could be, if one radion xr30 would be good for mostly LPs and maybe sps in the future. Things like that. right now I’m looking at some eco tech mp40s, the radion xr30 pro as some of the first pieces to work towards. Any suggestions or advice would be great thanks!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 108 is a nice size to consider .
you will notice equipment is a lot more
Expensive for larger systems but there are other options to save

I personally chose jeabo for wave makers and return pumps and so far have been very lucky .
I didn’t go cheap on the skimmer but I did build my own sump and t5 light fixture .

please keep us posted with pictures to see what direction you choose.

This will be a great time to start a build thread for the ones you have already running and to include the upgrade

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like it's a 4' tank....to get adequate coverage you will want to get more lights or strips or hybrids with all lol

Each xr30 light covers around 24"-32" area depending on how high you mount them and intensity....

If the 108g your getting is almost 48" long you will want to get more coverage.

Can't wait to see what you do ;)

OP
OP
Silverback26

Silverback26

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's a 4' tank....to get adequate coverage you will want to get more lights or strips or hybrids with all lol

Each xr30 light covers around 24"-32" area depending on how high you mount them and intensity....

If the 108g your getting is almost 48" long you will want to get more coverage.

Can't wait to see what you do ;)
Interesting so I would likely need 2 xr30s for full coverage of that tank? I order a lot of my corals online and a lot of them use the radions which is why I’m leaning that way. I figure it may be good to use those so they go under the same lighting when I get them here. Unfortunately most of my LFSs are pretty limited on their coral selections and sometimes I feel like the corals online look much better in the pictures then they do here on the stock biocube light haha. I’m not dead set on them either I just figure if I go with mp40s it may be nice to control all of them with the app and have some wiggle room I’d I ever decide to go the sps or mixed reef route

OP
OP
Silverback26

Silverback26

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 108 is a nice size to consider .
you will notice equipment is a lot more
Expensive for larger systems but there are other options to save

I personally chose jeabo for wave makers and return pumps and so far have been very lucky .
I didn’t go cheap on the skimmer but I did build my own sump and t5 light fixture .

please keep us posted with pictures to see what direction you choose.

This will be a great time to start a build thread for the ones you have already running and to include the upgrade
interesting, the jeabos look like a good option for saving some money and still having some control with the flow, my biocube has some Amazon power heads on it as well that don’t have any control but have worked great for me the past few years and were pretty cheap. I’ve also thought about maybe getting a cheap aqueon tank from petco or something for the sump as nobody will really see that and could work nice. Do you have a link to your build thread I’m not too sure how to get to it on here but I’d love to check it out!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 40 breeder from Petco next time they are on sale, then go to jaxracks on eBay for their diy sump kits. You will save a ton of money on the sump. My first diy sump was made out of glass partitions that I cut myself, it's so much easier and less bloody when it's precut acrylic. Use GE silicone without the mold inhibitors, super glue, clamps and a 90° compass or straight edge and it's pretty simple and a lot more customizable. Also if you go this route do not pull the bead of the silicone towards you, push it away from you, that way you will force out the air gaps.

OP
OP
Silverback26

Silverback26

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 40 breeder from Petco next time they are on sale, then go to jaxracks on eBay for their diy sump kits. You will save a ton of money on the sump. My first diy sump was made out of glass partitions that I cut myself, it's so much easier and less bloody when it's precut acrylic. Use GE silicone without the mold inhibitors, super glue, clamps and a 90° compass or straight edge and it's pretty simple and a lot more customizable. Also if you go this route do not pull the bead of the silicone towards you, push it away from you, that way you will force out the air gaps.
That’s exactly what I was thinking, I think I mentioned getting one of those cheap tanks above cause of the savings and I don’t care about the looks. I think my local petco actually has them on sale right now for $60 may grab one soon to stash

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look wise, my sump doesn't glow in the dark or have cool logos but it's like a separate tank with it's own ecosystem and I leave it visible because I like watching it. It might not be beautiful but it is captivating.

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I was thinking, I think I mentioned getting one of those cheap tanks above cause of the savings and I don’t care about the looks. I think my local petco actually has them on sale right now for $60 may grab one soon to stash
Go to trigger systems web site. Go to the blemish section. Crystal 30 for 185 and a ruby 30 for 195.00 You can't get a 40 and diy kit for that price

OP
OP
Silverback26

Silverback26

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to trigger systems web site. Go to the blemish section. Crystal 30 for 185 and a ruby 30 for 195.00 You can't get a 40 and diy kit for that price
Wow that’s a great find thanks! looks like they say shipping is included in those prices too and with warranty too, awesome

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s a great find thanks! looks like they say shipping is included in those prices too and with warranty too, awesome
Shhhhh don't tell anyone

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting, the jeabos look like a good option for saving some money and still having some control with the flow, my biocube has some Amazon power heads on it as well that don’t have any control but have worked great for me the past few years and were pretty cheap. I’ve also thought about maybe getting a cheap aqueon tank from petco or something for the sump as nobody will really see that and could work nice. Do you have a link to your build thread I’m not too sure how to get to it on here but I’d love to check it out!
I don’t know if I have equipment listed but the blue build thread below user names is where you go to view them

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump I made myself with an old 40 gal. Reefer tank . And bought the glass to cut and fit to make dividers and different sections .
It’s Worked for me

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back