Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ProStar Rimless 230 V2. 72x24x26 which Ecotech's website calculates to be 182 gallons in the display tank. I have various coral frags, and a few big softies. No acro or other coral that people say require a high flow rate.

I have 2 MP60s and 2 MP40s. I listened to a buddy recently who was adamant I needed more 'flow' in my tank so I bought the MP60s. Watching the tank and just using common sense, it seems to be too much. Especially with my sand bed. I didn't know Ecotec had a 'flow calculator' until today as well.

2 MP60s and 2 MP40s are overkill huh?

Extra info: Sicce SDC 9.0 return pump, random fish in the tank (tangs, clows, gobies, etc), ~10 head hammer, sick torch, bubble coral, zoas, various frags that are very small (brain coral, zoas, frogspawn, etc).

Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a (coral) reefer friend come see my tank for the first time. He was outright APPALLED at how little flow I have. I have a split return (2 nozzles pointing different directions) and 2 small jebao powerheads on a 4 foot 90 gallon tank. I have no significant dead spots (nothing that collects detritus or promotes cyano), and all my coral is happy. I don't have any sps but have a lot of lps.

Do what you find is best for your tank. If the coral is happy and you don't have problems with dead spots, it's all good :)

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2 mp40 does sound like too little. An mp40 on each end and a gyre in back middle or 2 mp40 on one side and an mp60 on the other sounds better to me.

Having said that though all the coral you listed does fine with low to moderate(torch/zoas) flow so depending on the flow specifically where they are maybe you were fine.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Djordan719

Djordan719

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a (coral) reefer friend come see my tank for the first time. He was outright APPALLED at how little flow I have. I have a split return (2 nozzles pointing different directions) and 2 small jebao powerheads on a 4 foot 90 gallon tank. I have no significant dead spots (nothing that collects detritus or promotes cyano), and all my coral is happy. I don't have any sps but have a lot of lps.

Do what you find is best for your tank. If the coral is happy and you don't have problems with dead spots, it's all good :)
Thanks for the Reply! Yea, I should probably just sick back and be patient and watch it. I have new reefer syndrome. I'm a year in (different tank now because I had to go BIGGER!) and I got super addicted. I just went to ReefStock in Denver on Sunday and couldn't help myself and bought the MP60s

OP
OP
Djordan719

Djordan719

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2 mp40 does sound like too little. An mp40 on each end and a gyre in back middle or 2 mp40 on one side and an mp60 on the other sounds better to me.

Having said that though all the coral you listed does fine with low to moderate(torch/zoas) flow so depending on the flow specifically where they are maybe you were fine.
Awesome thank you for the info and the peace of mind. I have some Icecap 4ks and I ended up with a set of Maxspect XF350s as well. I could try to put a set on either side of the overflow. Maybe I can sell an almost brand new MP60 lol! Or, I'll throw it on a shelf because judging by others I may get MTS (multi-tank syndrome) soon >.>

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back