Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am trying to find a decent hob skimmer for a 65 gallon aquarium that will be moderately stocked. I continue to see these two as highly recomended. I don't understand the major differences between them as they are similarly priced and rated.

I'm also open to suggestions on other hobs that would fit the bill. I don't currently have an option for a sump so all would have to be hob style. Thanks!

SuthernReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok with either of those. If you want to upgrade you could always go with this

OP
OP
P

prime510

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome thanks. I'll look into that one. It seems to fit the bill, and isn't too much more money.

Dumb question, but do any (or all?) of these skimmers have a reliable overflow protection? I'd like to set up a tank for an elderly family member who lives alone, but I won't be able to clean and dump the skimmer daily. I'd like to just come and maintain it for her every 2 weeks with water changing and cleaning, but don't want her to have to tear apart and dump anything. My previous experience with a seaclone 100 (many many years ago) I recall was a pain to dial in, and would often overfill and run out the back of the tank if not caught right away. Thanks for any input!

Top Shelf Aquatics

SuthernReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't wait 2 weeks in between emptying the collection cup. Maybe a week and that will depend on how you have it running. You'll also want to keep a close eye on it during break in.

I can only speak on experience with the Aquamaxx 1.5. It has a built in overflow and its been flawless for me, but as with anything, you can never be 100% certain with these kind of things.

If anything, show them what to look for and how to empty the cup if needed. Shouldn't be hard unless they are extremely limited in mobility.

Id do some research and watch some videos on reviews for the skimmers you're interested in and make a decision on what you feel is best.

Good luck

OP
OP
P

prime510

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't wait 2 weeks in between emptying the collection cup. Maybe a week and that will depend on how you have it running. You'll also want to keep a close eye on it during break in.

I can only speak on experience with the Aquamaxx 1.5. It has a built in overflow and its been flawless for me, but as with anything, you can never be 100% certain with these kind of things.

If anything, show them what to look for and how to empty the cup if needed. Shouldn't be hard unless they are extremely limited in mobility.

Id do some research and watch some videos on reviews for the skimmers you're interested in and make a decision on what you feel is best.

Good luck
Thats a really great suggestion. I probably could show her how to empty it, I just didn't want her to have to do anything but feed and enjoy it.

And I have watched several videos, and they all look a million times better than what I grew up using. I'm still amazed at how much the hobby has grown and exploded. I feel like im learning everything all over again, as I'm just getting back into the hobby after 20 years off. Just trying to wrap my head around these algae scrubbers, refugium, crazy in depth accessories.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and info. I really appreciate it!

OP
OP
P

prime510

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new bullets work much better in my experience. I’ve used the AM 1.5 and Icecaps on my nanos, but am in love with the new bullets. Never looking back.
Thanks for the input! I really want to get the bullet 3, as I noticed the 1.5 won't fit on my old style rimmed tank, while the bullet 3 will.

Unfortunatly brs won't have any in for the foreseeable future. The rep i spoke to on the phone suggested I try the reef octopus classic 90 over the 1000. Still haven't made up my mind on what I want to do...

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back