Aquaforest Reef Salt & Automatic Water Changes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day @Perry @Aquaforest @120reefkeeper @Anirban @sever10

If you could please pass this on or if you know the answer.

Question: Why should I not use Reef salt for auto water changes? I do not want a general answer, if not.

I have been running the Reef Salt for an AWC. I have found that I have cut my dosing way back since starting 4/15/18

Know issues,

I was dosing to much 1+2+3+ and I should have just stop dosing and then start dosing again.

Alk/DKH was running high before 4/15/18 and I just about had the Alk in line before starting the

AWC.

I am not quite sure what my salinity really is and have a real refractometer on order to arrive later this week, would running a low salinity effect my corals and colorations? I do have the feeling my salinity is running around a 1.0235.

Parameters 5/6/18

Ca 505 Hanna

Alk 8.9 that has come down for two jumps to 10.5 Hanna

Mg 1470 and has been off the scale Aquaforest

Phosphates .03 Hanna

Nitrates 5 ppm ELOS

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jeff,
I know many retail stores using AF Reef Salt and Sea Salt in a stored scenario. That said, the only disclaimer would be with AF Probiotic Reef Salt, as far as storing goes. As far as salt goes, mixing using the purple measuring cup is pretty darn accurate to 1.025, a perfect number in my book. That said, the mineral and trace mineral composition could be higher or lower than what ICP analysis lists, again depending on S.G. Personally the Alk seems to be the concern here. Using a system with AWC, and a salt that mixes at 1.025 S.G. I would expect KH to be close to 7.5 in this system. Alk set point with Comp 123 is determined by alk consumption, so allowing the S.G. to be in line, targeting mixing level at 7.5dkh, approximately, I would buffer to run this level, if using AWC system. Hope this makes sense, rambling here, LOL :)

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll agree with a lot of what @Perry has said here.

I would like to add that if you truly want to do an AWC system some kind of a controller is a must here in my opinion. This will serve multiple purposes.

1. Shut off the Auto Topoff when your pulling out Saltwater and adding new.

2. Conductivity probe maybe helpful to track salinity but I wouldn’t make it my only source of control.

You’ll need to do some programming.

IE...

If conductivity is less than 34.00 then turn off ATO etc...

I’m running through programming in my head as I write this.

Also I would make sure when you cycle to pull water out then have the ATO off until about 5 minutes after you put new saltwater back in. You may also want to keep an eye on your skimmer. Fluctuations in water height might be an issue for it.

Setting up the AWC water...

I would heat and mix as usual. Make sure the specific gravity is good and then turn off the heat and do not vigorously stir the water. Just very mild water movement in the closed container.

Also I would not make super large batches. I would keep my largest batch at enough to go say 3 days to start . Go with that for awhile until you get things tuned in. Then increase to 5 days. I would never mix more than 1 weeks worth. This is my 2 cents.

[emoji6]

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jeff,
I know many retail stores using AF Reef Salt and Sea Salt in a stored scenario. That said, the only disclaimer would be with AF Probiotic Reef Salt, as far as storing goes. As far as salt goes, mixing using the purple measuring cup is pretty darn accurate to 1.025, a perfect number in my book. That said, the mineral and trace mineral composition could be higher or lower than what ICP analysis lists, again depending on S.G. Personally the Alk seems to be the concern here. Using a system with AWC, and a salt that mixes at 1.025 S.G. I would expect KH to be close to 7.5 in this system. Alk set point with Comp 123 is determined by alk consumption, so allowing the S.G. to be in line, targeting mixing level at 7.5dkh, approximately, I would buffer to run this level, if using AWC system. Hope this makes sense, rambling here, LOL :)

I’ll agree with a lot of what @Perry has said here.

I would like to add that if you truly want to do an AWC system some kind of a controller is a must here in my opinion. This will serve multiple purposes.

1. Shut off the Auto Topoff when your pulling out Saltwater and adding new.

2. Conductivity probe maybe helpful to track salinity but I wouldn’t make it my only source of control.

You’ll need to do some programming.

IE...

If conductivity is less than 34.00 then turn off ATO etc...

I’m running through programming in my head as I write this.

Also I would make sure when you cycle to pull water out then have the ATO off until about 5 minutes after you put new saltwater back in. You may also want to keep an eye on your skimmer. Fluctuations in water height might be an issue for it.

Setting up the AWC water...

I would heat and mix as usual. Make sure the specific gravity is good and then turn off the heat and do not vigorously stir the water. Just very mild water movement in the closed container.

Also I would not make super large batches. I would keep my largest batch at enough to go say 3 days to start . Go with that for awhile until you get things tuned in. Then increase to 5 days. I would never mix more than 1 weeks worth. This is my 2 cents.

[emoji6]

Thank you Perry & Mike

I agree that I should not rely on the conductivity probe. Yes Perry it makes since and confirms my process of elimination.

I am then going with my salinity has been running lower the what my probe reads that I used to trust. I have ordered a digital refractometer to be sure what my new water salinity is and also to check the systems salinity. I also need to order a good refractometer and toss the $20 one that I have now.

That you again guys for helping confirm that is not the salt but low salinity due my conductivity being off.

I will report back

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reporting back

I finally have things adjusted.

Mistake, I sound have shut down dosing 1+2+3+ I also just found out this evening that I have wetside magnet crack, and a rusty magnet. With all this going on the system is in recovery.:)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaCave Logo Banner
Back