Aquacultured vs. Wild-caught Fish - Some Potential Weaknesses of Modern Aquaculture

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
(Warning: it's basically a small novel ahead.)

There's a lot of debate as to whether or not aquacultured fish are inferior to wild-caught fish, and I wanted to address some points on the topic without muddying up other threads. I do recognized this something of a controversial topic; my point is not to raise a controversy, or to praise aquacultured or wild-caught fish here, it's mainly just to discuss some potential flaws of current aquaculture, secondarily, to discuss some differences between aquacultured and wild-caught fish, and, thirdly, to discuss why I'm not overly concerned about the current issues with aquaculture (hint: it's largely due to a professional aquaculturist's financial interests).

To preface this and be completely transparent, I am very much so pro-aquaculture (it's a field I hope to personally get into some day), but I do try to address the points here fairly.

So, first things first, aquacultured means you took some fish, you got them spawning, and you reared the larvae to the point where they could be sold. Those reared larvae are aquacultured specimens. Aquaculture is NOT to be confused with tank-raised, where (at least relatively) freshly hatched, juvenile, wild-caught fish are kept in aquaria until they're an appropriate size to being sold, or with larviculture, which is where you take eggs from the wild, hatch them, and rear the larvae to the point where they could be sold. Larviculture is great for learning how to rear difficult to keep/breed species, but it's not as good from a sustainability perspective as aquaculture. Tank-raised is really just aquarium-adapted, but may or may not be more ecologically friendly than regular wild-caught fish depending on how the specimens are acquired.

I would ask any company or individual advertising tank-raised or larvicultured fish as aquacultured to adjust their advertising to accurately reflect their true status.

So with that said, here are the issues that I'll try to cover at least somewhat here:
-Coloration
-Lifespan, Health, Immunity, and Deformities (Mechanical/Environmental)
-Genetic Deformities and Other Issues
-Cost
-Availability

So, to cover the longest one first, let's talk about captive-bred/aquacultured vs. wild-caught coloration.

Coloration:

This is typically where I see the most complaints from reefers - the aquacultured fish are pale and "not as colorful" as their wild-caught counterparts. This may or may not be true, but let's address some of the issues at hand with coloration.

First and foremost, juvenile fish are typically transparent/translucent, and retain a very pale, grayish white color until they're a little older and larger. Wild caught fish are almost never sold in this size range (probably in part because it's really, really hard to tell fish apart at this stage). Aquacultured fish, however, are fairly frequently sold in this size range. As mentioned, any fish in this size range will take a while to color up.

Second, many different factors impact both long-term and short-term coloration, including the following:

-Light (wavelength, intensity, and duration)
-Health
-Diet (including both vitamins, minerals, etc. and pigments like astaxanthin in a fish's diet)
-Chemicals (including hormones, pheromones, toxins, etc.)
-Genetics
-Stress
-Biological Sex
-Social Interactions (mating, aggression, social hierarchies, etc.)
-Age/Size/Life-stage
-Etc.

Some things that affect a fish's coloration are immediate and short-term (like stress) while others (like lighting and diet) can take much, much longer to make a noticeable difference, but that difference is likely to linger much, much longer once the issue is resolved.

Out of the factors above, aquacultured fish could potentially suffer comparative, color-related issues from the first five (light, health, diet, chemicals, and genetics):

-No manufactured light currently mimics the sunlight all wild-caught fish would be exposed to, so there's potential for deficiency there, but it may not be an issue at all depending on the specific species involved. Additionally, some aquaculture facilities do use sunlight for their operations, so any differences here could be drastic or negligible depending on the facility lighting.

-Unhealthy fish may not look as vibrant as healthy fish. Additionally, if there is some kind of deficiency during the egg or larval stages for a fish, it could (in addition to impacting their health/lifespan) impact a fish's coloration as it grows; many times the color issue is just temporary when deficiencies in the larval stage are the cause. The more known issues here, the more the incentive for aquaculturists to resolve the source of the issue, but it does require knowing about the issue and being able to identify what is causing it.

-Diet impacts not only the health, but a fish's coloration as well; different pigments (found in various food items) in different quantities in whatever a fish eats impacts the coloration of the fish - wild-caught fish are going to have a very different diet than aquacultured fish, and may have different dietary pigments/pigment levels as a result. So, the color of an aquacultured fish may be different/subjectively inferior based on its diet. The healthier and better looking the fish, the more likely it is to sell well, though, so, again, there's incentive to correct any issues with diet here.

-Chemicals can impact a fish's coloration, but regardless of if a fish is wild-caught or aquacultured, it would be an effort in futility to try and measure each chemical a fish could potentially be exposed to and its impact on a fish's color. One could make a few, shaky assumptions here - such as that wild-caught fish would generally be exposed to more but also more-diluted chemicals than aquacultured fish, or that most chemicals a fish could be exposed to would be detrimental to their color rather than helpful - but we just don't have enough information here to know if those assumptions are even valid enough to be addressed. So, I'll just say that - at this point - chemically speaking, I wouldn't expect either wild-caught or aquacultured fish to be superior.

-Genetics obviously play a role in a fish's coloration. One of the main concerns I hear with aquacultured fish is the concern of inbreeding and genetic issues with aquacultured fish. With responsible aquaculture (which would maintain at least three different genetic lines just like responsible farming/ranching), this really shouldn't be a concern, as the genetic lines should be distinct enough to avoid most issues just like wild-caught genetic lines would be. With irresponsible aquaculture, though, this is a serious concern primarily for the health and longevity of a fish, but also somewhat from a coloration perspective.

Now for the other issues.

Lifespan, Health, Immunity, and Deformities (Mechanical/Environmental):

The field of marine aquaculture is still largely in its early stages - yes, we've figured out how to culture a lot of species, but there are still plenty more to figure out. There are also a number of improvements to be made on the current culture methods of many species (some of which will take a very long time to figure out), and some issues which may need correcting.

Some of these potential issues are related to our care for the species (either broodstock, larvae, or both) in captivity, and can directly impact a specimen's lifespan, health, immunity, development, and more. For example, when the broodstock fish have a diet that is good enough to get the fish spawning, but which diet still has minor flaws in it, it can lead to eggs which hatch with deformed or sickly larvae. Similarly, for some species, if a larval diet is lacking in some way but good enough to still rear the fish, it can lead to deformities, coloration issues, poor health, a shortened lifespan, etc. in the future for specimens reared on that diet.

Beyond just the diet of the fish, though, there are other possible issues that can arise and cause problems. For example, under improper feeding conditions or environmental conditions, larval fish may develop coloration issues and/or deformities such as deformed jaws, heads, fins, etc. Many common deformities are caused by lighting issues in the rearing process (which often cause the larvae to smack into the walls or floor of their tanks, sometimes leading to things like misshapen heads), but some may be caused by things like the use of slurry feeds which larvae attempt to eat off of the walls and floors of their tanks, resulting in serious jaw deformities (which may sometimes prove fatal to a fish over time).

Additionally, some aquarists are concerned that due to the relatively sterile environments in which aquacultured fish are reared, that the fish will be more susceptible to disease than their wild-caught counterparts. This may or may not be true, but I suspect it will take years of study before we know for sure if this is a valid concern or not. Given our current knowledge and the already high mortality rate of wild-caught fish to disease, however, it's understandable to view this as a concerning possibility.

That said, judging from the success of current aquacultured specimens in aquariums with both aquacultured and wild-caught specimens (to say nothing of live rock or sand), it would seem likely that this concern may be overblown, as if their theoretically weaker immune system was going to cause problems when exposed to wild/oceanic pathogens, it should do so in systems with wild-caught fish and live rock/sand.

As mentioned before, though, we likely won't know the theoretically weakened immune systems are a real problem in some way or not for several years.

Either way, I expect that most of these issues will be addressed in time, and that we will see both fewer issues with these over time and higher survival rates for aquacultured fish over time.

Genetic Deformities and Other Issues:

To be brief here, good genetics are key to good health. Bad genetics can lead to deformities, discoloration, shortened lifespan, increased chance of specific diseases/health issues, etc., so it's of the utmost importance to maintain good genetics in a population of aquacultured fish.

As mentioned before, with responsible aquacultured, multiple distinct genetic lines (at least three of them, but the more the merrier) should be maintained. By maintaining these distinct genetic lines, there should be comparable numbers of genetic issues for both wild-caught and aquacultured species, meaning that there should not really be any more genetic concerns from captive-bred populations than there are for wild-caught specimens.

So, assuming that professional aquaculturists recognize that good genetics are good for business, where do these issues really come into view? Largely from hobbyist breeders, unfortunately. I am fully supportive of hobbyist aquaculture, but I do recognize that care needs to be taken to avoid inbreeding (or at least excessive inbreeding), and with popular species - like clownfish - that may be hard. Why? Because while professionals should be keeping records of their livestock to avoid inbreeding, hobbyists may not always know which fish are related and which aren't, or how closely related the fish may be. So, purposefully or otherwise, inbreeding may occur if care is not taken.

Additionally, breeding for things like specific color morphs can take a very long time, so some may (irresponsibly) try to take shortcuts to that consistently produce that morph by heavily inbreeding specimens which display it. Again, professionals should know better than to do this, so it's likely to be primarily of concern amongst hobbyists.

So, remember, responsible hobbyists/professionals and responsible aquaculture frame the hobby in a positive light and produce higher quality fish- so, be careful to avoid excessive inbreeding. If you're hoping to breed a fish that has already been bred, especially if it's a popular fish (such as clownfish), ask around about the broodstock or breeder of the exact specimens you're interested in breeding before you breed them.

Cost:

It's popular to complain about the cost of fish, especially when those fish are aquacultured. So, why do aquacultured fish generally cost more than wild-caught fish? A few reasons:

-Research and development costs to produce viable and repeatable aquaculture procedures, then more research and development costs to improve those procedures.

-Opportunity costs; how much money could the aquaculturist be making if they sold somethings else, like a different species (particularly one that they already know how to culture)?

-Maintenance costs; just like any business, the aquaculturist has to keep the lights on and the equipment operating correctly. However, in addition to that, they also have to keep feeding their broodstock and any larvae their broodstock produce, and they have to keep producing the feeders to feed them. So, the maintenance costs can add up fast, particularly if there are multiple batches of larvae from the same broodstock being reared at once. Additionally, the longer larvae are kept, the more it costs to maintain them (they need more food as they grow, and they can't be sold until they reach viable sizes), and some species have very long larval stages. So, price will vary from one species to another depending on both the amount and type of food needed, and on the larval duration.

-Shipping and handling; while aquacultured fish don't always need shipped internationally (though they also often are), they do still need shipped within country.

-Country-specific labor costs; the hands-on side of aquaculture isn't something that can be done remotely, and a lot of aquaculture is done in relatively expensive countries (like the U.S.). Those relatively expensive countries have relatively (very) high labor prices, and that really bumps the cost. Many wild-caught fish are caught and exported from countries with relatively (very) cheap labor, and have minimal labor costs as a result; so much of the cost of wild-caught fish is really just shipping.

With all of this in mind, the more common aquacultured fish become, and the more the field of aquculture advances, the (relatively) cheaper the fish will likely become in the future.

Availability:

At this point, not every fish is available through aquaculture. That's indisputable. For a number of reasons (ethics/morals, politics/legalities, finances, passion, research, etc.), however, I suspect we will see more species being aquacultured more frequently in the future. Honestly, for those same reasons, while it would definitely take a while, it seems likely that aquacultured specimens will eventually overtake wild-caught specimens as being more common in the hobby.

So, I suspect that availability will only be a concern for rarer species in the future (though I also suspect that at least some species will likely remain available only as wild-caught specimens for the foreseeable future), but it's definitely a concern now. The more responsible aquaculturists we can get breeding different species, though, the sooner that concern may be diminished.

Anyway, whether aquacultured specimens are objectively inferior or not in some way to their wild-caught counterparts, aquaculture is still in its beginning stages and already shows great promise. Speaking bluntly here, it will likely only show more promise going forward. While we definitely have a long way to go in the field, I do believe it could be an effective, sustainable way forward - particularly with the help of responsible hobbyists and professionals alike.

So, don't be afraid to give aquacultured fish a try, and, who knows, with public support and enough research, aquaculture may even produce objectively superior specimens at some point (a controversial thought, I know).

On a final note, regardless of if you think wild-caught or aquacultured is better, and regardless of if you think aquaculture is the future of fish-keeping or not - thanks for reading! If you can think of any other major points I missed, let me know.

Happy reefing!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Most , in fact all my fish are wild caught and adapt well and many ive had for a few years now.

OP
OP
ISpeakForTheSeas

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your take on behavioral differences?
Haha, my psychology background says that's a bit of a loaded, "Nature vs. Nurture" kind of question.

In aquariums, I would expect negligible behavioral differences. In the wild, I would not be surprised if aquacultured fish failed to recognize certain specific dangers (like predators, stinging corals, etc.); however they may not have issues even then. It depends on how much is instinctive behavior (nature) and how much learned behavior (nurture) for the fish.

In aquariums, I have heard of people being concerned about behavioral differences between wild-caught and aquacultured specimens, but in each case I've seen concern about, the aquacultured specimens have behaved the same as their wild-caught counterparts (the most common concern I see is if aquacultured gobies will pair with a pistol shrimp or if aquacultured clowns will be hosted by an anemone).

Personally, I would be interested to see things like the differences in reaction to various sights, sounds, chemicals (smell), etc. and taste/shelter preferences of wild-caught vs aquacultured fish to start figuring out what is nature, what is nurture, and if there are differences between natural conditions and preferred conditions for various species, but that's a lot of work for likely very little pay off at this point.

Anyway, as mentioned above, I would personally expect very few behavioral differences between wild-caught and captive-bred fish; though aquacultured fish of some species may be more likely to readily accept common aquarium feeds than their wild-counterparts (that I do ascribe to nurture).

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, my psychology background says that's a bit of a loaded, "Nature vs. Nurture" kind of question.

In aquariums, I would expect negligible behavioral differences. In the wild, I would not be surprised if aquacultured fish failed to recognize certain specific dangers (like predators, stinging corals, etc.); however they may not have issues even then. It depends on how much is instinctive behavior (nature) and how much learned behavior (nurture) for the fish.

In aquariums, I have heard of people being concerned about behavioral differences between wild-caught and aquacultured specimens, but in each case I've seen concern about, the aquacultured specimens have behaved the same as their wild-caught counterparts (the most common concern I see is if aquacultured gobies will pair with a pistol shrimp or if aquacultured clowns will be hosted by an anemone).

Personally, I would be interested to see things like the differences in reaction to various sights, sounds, chemicals (smell), etc. and taste/shelter preferences of wild-caught vs aquacultured fish to start figuring out what is nature, what is nurture, and if there are differences between natural conditions and preferred conditions for various species, but that's a lot of work for likely very little pay off at this point.

Anyway, as mentioned above, I would personally expect very few behavioral differences between wild-caught and captive-bred fish; though aquacultured fish of some species may be more likely to readily accept common aquarium feeds than their wild-counterparts (that I do ascribe to nurture).
How come my Aqua culture clownfish can’t find their way into an anemone?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Nature of clowns. I had 7 RBTA anemones and 12 clowns and only one clown went into anemones.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of debate as to whether or not aquacultured fish are inferior to wild-caught fish, and I wanted to address some points on the topic without muddying up other threads.

Debate, bias, anecdotal, and more. This to me seems like an opinion piece. No disrespect.

So with that said, here are the issues that I'll try to cover at least somewhat here:
-Coloration

When talking about coloration it would help to have photos and video. If you don't have it then seek it out. This comes up a lot as you know especially when the discussion is on Yellow Tangs. Only thing I can say, my opinion mind you, is that wild collected fish are typically older, more mature, so have their adult coloring as you mentioned. Younger fish may be a bit more difficult to collect as they are hugging the reef more or in tighter areas for food and to avoid predation. At least what I see in keeping the captive/raised fish I have along with my scuba dives. Collectors would have a more accurate opinion.

For example here are my Pink Square Anthias, captive bred. Just so happens my ORA Yellow Assessor is checking them out. Light in color almost translucent.

Here are the same Pink Squares today. Full color with one in transition.

Happy reefing!

Hope your day is well.

OP
OP
ISpeakForTheSeas

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, wild or cultured, some clowns do, some clowns don't - sometimes it just takes time.
Debate, bias, anecdotal, and more. This to me seems like an opinion piece. No disrespect.
No disrespect taken - I appreciate the input.

It somewhat is an opinion piece honestly (though the various factors discussed are based in facts, with the arguable exception of the Availability section, which is mostly speculative), but it's mostly me just trying to help people be aware of some of the differences and understand some of the points going into the wild-caught vs. captive-bred debate.

Again, I personally do favor aquaculture, and I do believe most of the "hate" aquacultured fish get comes from misunderstanding (like the age/coloration thing) - I just wanted to have a discussion on some of the potential issues that can arise with aquacultured fish; that's not to say any of these are common/prevalent issues, though, particularly in professional aquaculture settings; it's just to say these issues may arise, particularly early on in the process of learning how to culture a species.
When talking about coloration it would help to have photos and video. If you don't have it then seek it out. This comes up a lot as you know especially when the discussion is on Yellow Tangs.
Yeah, I can show images and videos for some of the factors involved with coloration (like diet and lighting), but I know part of the issue with the debate between wild-caught and aquacultured fish color is that the fish aren't really side-by-side, so many people dismiss differences or similarities due to camera settings, lighting, etc. - if anyone has any pics of a wild-caught specimen side-by-side with a captive-bred one of similar size, I would love to see them here!
Younger fish may be a bit more difficult to collect as they are hugging the reef more or in tighter areas for food and to avoid predation.
Yeah, additionally, younger fish like that may be less likely to survive shipping (particularly international shipping), so there are a few different reasons why wild-caught fish just aren't sold at that young of an age.

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not noticed a difference in color between wild caught and captive bred. I would emphasize a lack of a mate and/or sexual competition in a marine tank in why some fish lose color. Whether it is. Cause they turn female or in some cases just seem to fade I feel like many fish get a boat of color (and display more) with similar species. Flasher and fairy wrasse for example. Though this definitely comes with the con of more chance of fighting.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe it’s me but I feel wild caught are very skittish. My tomini tang has been in my tank months and he still darts and hides whenever I approach the tank. He does come back out if I’m still but hides if I move. If I watch from across the room he swims peacefully and casually, very natural and curious

I guess to counter myself, my wild caught anthias are the boldest in the tank and approach me all the time and constantly photo bomb my coral pictures.

Maybe it depends on the species

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s me but I feel wild caught are very skittish. My tomini tang has been in my tank months and he still darts and hides whenever I approach the tank. He does come back out if I’m still but hides if I move. If I watch from across the room he swims peacefully and casually, very natural and curious

I guess to counter myself, my wild caught anthias are the boldest in the tank and approach me all the time and constantly photo bomb my coral pictures.

Because I slept at the Holiday Inn and both my X & my daughter are mental health professionals, I say within each species, fish have personalities that are shaped by both environment & dna.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your take on behavioral differences?

I can contribute with one observation here. Some years ago I was working at a large public Aquarium here in Gothenburg. Among the tanks was a 1 400 000 L shark tank. Beside the sharks - we had a lot of smaller coral reef fish - a lot. We import wild cough fish - sometimes i smal size. Once we got around 100 Dascyllus melanurus in the size of around 3 - 4 cm. We put them in the tank and look for months in order to spot them - no luck. Suddenly after a couple of month - our divers report a cloud of D. melanurus over a rock formation in the back of the tank - there they was. a couple of months later we ordered 25 Caesio cuning. When they arrive - it shows up that they only was like 2-3 cm in size. The curator for the tank ask me - where in heck shoul we place these. We did not had any empty tank for these at all. We decide that they should be placed in the large tank directly - maybe some of them would survive. I was looking for months after them - and suddenly I spot them. They was swimming in the surface hiding in the small waves that out pumps was creating. A couple of week later - I was able to count them - 24 was still alive. That was the fact 2 years later to - 24 - now around 10 cm tall C. cuning was swimming with the sharks. Some years later - they was still 24 but around 15 - 20 cm.

However some months after that we had seen our C.cunning in the waves we got an offer to get 100 aquacultured clown´s of different species - around 3-4 cm in size. It was back around 2007 and it was not so common with farmed fish at that time. We know that it works with small fishes in the shark tank (the example I mentioned are only a few of many succeeded introductions of small fish in that tank) - we accept.

The normal when we introduce new fish (wild-caught) in that tank was that they immediately sought shelter in rock formations and slowly during the following months show up more and more.

Our divers carefully placed the small aqua cultured clowns in a rock formation and get up from the water. 10 minutes later most of the clowns gather together ABOVE the rocks like "happy to see you again pal" Our larger fish in the tank get one thought in their mind - new food! We lost most of these fish during the first hour. We had not counting on this. My lesson from this is probably that seeking protection is not a genetic ability, but one acquired by one's own experiences.

About colour - my experiences is that according yellow and red colours - its a question of food and its content of carotenoids. Also that fact that farmed individual probably have more than twice higher growth-rate than wild speciements - it take time for pigments to develop.

To be brief here, good genetics are key to good health. Bad genetics can lead to deformities, discoloration, shortened lifespan, increased chance of specific diseases/health issues, etc., so it's of the utmost importance to maintain good genetics in a population of aquacultured fish.
Not only this above but also this.

Fish is known to have a huge genetical variation because of the variability of their environment. In the wild normally 1 offspring of each individual survive to adulthood - normally the best adapted to that environment at that time.

Farmed fish - all survive - even those that shouldn't do it in the wild

The solution of this - only use wild-caught parents.

I have more thoughts about wild-caught and farmed. One is the question raised in the Nagoya protocol.

Sincerely Lasse

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Almost like they act like a wild animal, right... I like the challenge and reward of nuturing/training the fish to trust me enough to go from skittish and hiding to letting you pet them and eating from your hands. To my this is the main difference, besides colors, between marine and freshwater fish. To exaggerate this point,i would argue captive bred fish behave more like goldfish.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Almost like they act like a wild animal, right... I like the challenge and reward of nuturing/training the fish to trust me enough to go from skittish and hiding to letting you pet them and eating from your hands. To my this is the main difference, besides colors, between marine and freshwater fish. To exaggerate this point,i would argue captive bred fish behave more like goldfish.
I’m not questioning the logic behind it. Just pointing out a possible behavioral difference.

OP
OP
ISpeakForTheSeas

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The normal when we introduce new fish (wild-caught) in that tank was that they immediately sought shelter in rock formations and slowly during the following months show up more and more.

Our divers carefully placed the small aqua cultured clowns in a rock formation and get up from the water. 10 minutes later most of the clowns gather together ABOVE the rocks like "happy to see you again pal" Our larger fish in the tank get one thought in their mind - new food! We lost most of these fish during the first hour. We had not counting on this. My lesson from this is probably that seeking protection is not a genetic ability, but one acquired by one's own experiences.
That's an excellent example (and my main concern with how aquacultured fish would fair in the ocean) - the aquacultured fish are raised in safety, and even when put in a hobbyist aquarium with other fish, the other fish typically pose no risk to the aquacultured fish; so the aquacultured fish never really need to learn how to be safe and protect themselves from predators.

Another concern I would have here is the effectiveness of aquacultured fish at getting food in the wild - I would expect wild fish to be more effective at getting food in the wild than aquacultured fish would be.
Ah, that's fair - most people would probably view this difference as a good thing (though that's a matter of opinion), but it is something that may be different between aquacultured and wild-caught fish (though, as mentioned, this may also vary from one species to another and even within a species).

Aquacultured fish are typically going to be a lot more used to seeing people, so they may be much less likely to hide at first.

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Excellent write up. I often think about nature versus nurture and the effect on behavior not only from the hobby perspective but in general. Wild dogs and house trained dogs do not behave the same… why would we expect fish to? The coloring argument is an interesting one and I’ve been reading a lot about the diet of wild angelfish for example because one of my angelfish is losing color despite being very active, no aggression in the tank, and being plump/eating like a piggie (flame angel) so I’ve been wondering what I can do to better supplement his diet.

OP
OP
ISpeakForTheSeas

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent write up. I often think about nature versus nurture and the effect on behavior not only from the hobby perspective but in general. Wild dogs and house trained dogs do not behave the same… why would we expect fish to? The coloring argument is an interesting one and I’ve been reading a lot about the diet of wild angelfish for example because one of my angelfish is losing color despite being very active, no aggression in the tank, and being plump/eating like a piggie (flame angel) so I’ve been wondering what I can do to better supplement his diet.
If the angel is healthy and happy, then I would turn to look at light and diet - for diet, the main color-boosting supplements in the hobby are astaxanthin and spirulina; there are others, but you need to be more careful with them (some may be toxic in high quantities).

My post (linked below) discusses these in a bit more depth, and has links showing the impacts of different astaxanthin in a diet (shown with clownfish), some impacts of lighting on coloration (sunlight vs electrical lighting), and a list of more color-altering pigments:

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If the angel is healthy and happy, then I would turn to look at light and diet - for diet, the main color-boosting supplements in the hobby are astaxanthin and spirulina; there are others, but you need to be more careful with them (some may be toxic in high quantities).

My post (linked below) discusses these in a bit more depth, and has links showing the impacts of different astaxanthin in a diet (shown with clownfish), some impacts of lighting on coloration (sunlight vs electrical lighting), and a list of more color-altering pigments:
Thank you!!!!!!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back