Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having an issue that seems like it would have a solution, but I just can't find it. When dosing bacteria to control cyano/dino, I do it in the evening after my skimmer shuts off to give the bacteria the overnight to do their job. Then in the morning the skimmer comes on and removes the waste. However, sometimes, I can't figure out when and why my skimmer will overflow for a while. Of course, when it does my ATK goes nuts and keeps dumping fresh water in to replace what the skimmer has taken out. I don't monitor salinity with my apex, but I'm thinking there should be a way to program the ATK if it runs more than 2 or 3 times in an hour to shut off the skimmer. This way when it happens and I'm at work, I can keep the tank from getting too low of salinity, dumping skim mate on the floor, and emptying my ATO reservoir. Basically, a command that monitors or counts how many times an outlet has triggered on in a set amount of time to then perform a function. I know I could buy more sensors and switches, but as I said, it's intermittent. Any ideas?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be addressed a couple of different ways. Either run time or run frequency. Personally for this issue I would lean towards limiting based on run time presuming you are already using default Apex programming for your ATK. You will need to know your average run time for topoff to do this effectively.

All_talk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sean is pointing you in the right direction. I have done this type of programming with my old ATO setup, I had virtual outlets that would trigger the alarm if the ATO pump ran too long or if it had not run in a while. Certainly save me from disaster a few times. I have since switched to an ATO based on a dosing pump and I don't feel I need that programming any more.

For the skimmer over flow you might look into a float switch in the collection cup, this would be a more direct safety device.

OP
OP
B

Brillo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be addressed a couple of different ways. Either run time or run frequency. Personally for this issue I would lean towards limiting based on run time presuming you are already using default Apex programming for your ATK. You will need to know your average run time for topoff to do this effectively.
Thank you for the response! I've never seen a program for either, can you provide an example? Run time is usually about 20 seconds

takitaj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try running the level in your skimmer a little lower, especially if you're turning it on and off daily. Plus there will be more "stuff" built up for it to react to after being off for a while and causing it to go crazy when you first turn it on. Mine will always overflow when it first turns on if I try to run the level too high but will settle back in after a few minutes. I used to run the level right up near the neck, now I typically run it just over halfway up the body. Don't worry, it will still work the same but may take a little longer to build up enough foam to reach the cup...unless there a bunch built up waiting to go. :) Try it and see.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response! I've never seen a program for either, can you provide an example? Run time is usually about 20 seconds
Please post your current skimmer outlet programing and your current top off outlet programing.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
B

Brillo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try running the level in your skimmer a little lower, especially if you're turning it on and off daily. Plus there will be more "stuff" built up for it to react to after being off for a while and causing it to go crazy when you first turn it on. Mine will always overflow when it first turns on if I try to run the level too high but will settle back in after a few minutes. I used to run the level right up near the neck, now I typically run it just over halfway up the body. Don't worry, it will still work the same but may take a little longer to build up enough foam to reach the cup...unless there a bunch built up waiting to go. :) Try it and see.
Thanks!!

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Black Label Aquatics
Back