Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering an apex jr as a solution to simply measure things in my aquarium and pipe the data to homeassistant. I have a few questions though:

Do the existing XML -> homeassistant guides/integrations work well and refresh often enough to be useful?

Would the following list of sensors work with the jr?
- 5 or 6 liquid level sensors (sump, ato reservoir, dosing containers)
- ph, orp, salinity
- leak detection
- temp
- flow meter on return
- maybe trident much later

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

nothing_fancy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about home assistant but you could definitely start with a JR and an FMM to deal with the amount of sensors you're interested in. You'd have to do some more upgrading if you're interested in (3) probes although IMO you'd be fine with just PH and temp (has its own designated input) You can do a trident. If you're getting into flow metering I would go with one of the higher tier apex modules and an energy bar. At that point you're going into a more detailed level of control imo.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm considering an apex jr as a solution to simply measure things in my aquarium and pipe the data to homeassistant. I have a few questions though:

Do the existing XML -> homeassistant guides/integrations work well and refresh often enough to be useful?

Would the following list of sensors work with the jr?
- 5 or 6 liquid level sensors (sump, ato reservoir, dosing containers)
- ph, orp, salinity
- leak detection
- temp
- flow meter on return
- maybe trident much later

Thoughts?
No- its very basic and does not provide the ports for the extra components you mention. You will want the EL unit which still does not provide for items mentioned due to limited ports. Leak detections via floor probe, and one more 35m plugin. Its an entry level unit

1673974686459.png

Corals.com
OP
OP
Carbonator

Carbonator

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about home assistant but you could definitely start with a JR and an FMM to deal with the amount of sensors you're interested in. You'd have to do some more upgrading if you're interested in (3) probes although IMO you'd be fine with just PH and temp (has its own designated input) You can do a trident. If you're getting into flow metering I would go with one of the higher tier apex modules and an energy bar. At that point you're going into a more detailed level of control imo.

Flow metering is probably more of a 'nice-to-have', just like orp. This looks like it might be doable!

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back