+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Apex, dos is simple to set up, like very simple, and works

As far as water changes themselves, prepare for a long debate…..

Top Shelf Aquatics

Boaz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using DOS for AWC at rate of 1 gal day on about 110 gallons for about 6 months. On weekends, I manually change another 2-4 gals to syphon out the detritus. The AWC works great and makes the manual work much more manageable since my water station is in the basement. Pretty easy to carry 3 gals up the stairs. Mine runs continuous, but I don't have a reason for that choice. The water has been crystal clear since I started this AWC routine, IMHO.

Edit: my storage tank is 35 gals, so I only have to refill once a month, which is nice.

Zach W

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using DOS for AWC at rate of 1 gal day on about 110 gallons for about 6 months. On weekends, I manually change another 2-4 gals to syphon out the detritus. The AWC works great and makes the manual work much more manageable since my water station is in the basement. Pretty easy to carry 3 gals up the stairs. Mine runs continuous, but I don't have a reason for that choice. The water has been crystal clear since I started this AWC routine, IMHO.

Edit: my storage tank is 35 gals, so I only have to refill once a month, which is nice.
I’m in a similar situation as OP in that I’m setting up a AWC currently. Much like your setup, I will be doing 1GPD changes and have 32gal containers so 1 month before refilling and mixing new saltwater. Out of curiosity what salt are you using and how has the long term storage of your premixed SW been? Thanks!

Boaz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zach W I use TM Pro Reef. I'm still debating if it's worth the extra cost, but the tank is approaching 1 year old and stability seems to be improving all the time. Ha, I also don't change a lot of things like I did the first 6 months. I'm sure that helps. I haven't seen any negatives in the SW storage. I plan to clean the container out and sanitize it this summer, or once a year, just for my own peace of mind. I tested salinity about a month ago when less than half full and parameters were spot on with my tank water. Didn't check the Alk, Cal, Mag levels. It's about 6% weekly, so shouldn't cause any massive swings. For me, I believe in doing water changes and this just makes it much easier. It takes about 30 minutes to do the manual change and syphon out the junk. I can do that on Saturday morning while the family is still sleeping and I'm done for the week. My container was purchased at Tractor Supply Company.

Attachments

• Water Storage.jpg
    Water Storage.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 17
AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back