Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody says the other one is second rate.

I actually think the second one is more exciting looking than AoG.

I have both, and I like them both just fine :)

[edit] ooops... I was referring to the Pookstreet ones.

Though I do have some pinkish ones like the ones in Farrmanchu's pic too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Farrmanchu

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it would be called AoG morph, or AoG type? I'm into freshwater African Cichlids, the same problem exists. Frontosa is a sought after and beautiful Cichlid. Not all look the same, they all are blueish with black barring, with different variations depending on where the fish was collected. Some variations of the same fish can fetch a much higher price than regular, run of the mill Frontosas. Because the collection location is the factor affecting morphology, the names have been clarified as such; Frontosa "Kigoma", or Frontosa "Bulu Point", or Frontosa "Moba". The suffix refers to the collection area of the Lake. The "Kigoma" variety is $12.50, the "Moba" variety is $45. Both are blue and black fish, with a hump on the head.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I just like the brightness and color; patterns for me come in a close third.

If they are bright, and the color is right I am happy...

I saw something really odd this weekend with an SPS. A guy had two SPS frags of the same coral; one was stressed from an accident just prior to the trade while it was in a seperate shipping container. Two other guys at the trade saw the frags, and got into a heated argument over whether or not one deserved a special lineage tag. WHen the guy whose frags they were told them they were from the same mother colony, neither one believed him- which struck me as odd because I live near the guy, and that's the only SPS colony of that kind in his tank.

On the drive home I was thinking about the lineaged corals I have versus the wildcaught sorts I also own. I like em both. But when I look into the tank, it's the beauty of them that I really like.

What does all that mean? Who knows. For me, I trade the guilt of buying wildcaught for low prices for a beautiful piece... But overall, I try to buy aquacultured stuff to lessen the impact of collection on the reefs. It's all up to the person buying I guess.

<giggle>
Laurie

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody says the other one is second rate.

I actually think the second one is more exciting looking than AoG.

I have both, and I like them both just fine :)

[edit] ooops... I was referring to the Pookstreet ones.

Though I do have some pinkish ones like the ones in Farrmanchu's pic too.

/agree, they are both beautiful. Thanks for the AOG polyp!!

:D
Laurie

pookstreet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said everyone. Like I mentioned in the beginning, I am not really into the name thing. I wanted to know just out of curiosity. I love those zoas whether they are AoG or not (thanks sr71 ;) ) The corals I keep in my tanks are the ones I like, not b/c they have cool names or someone put premium prices on them. One of my favorite piece in my SPS tank is the green A. yongei. Everyone who's kept SPS probably had one at some time. Just b/c it's common doesn't mean it's not a beautiful coral.

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy what I think is nice, not what is rare, or what someone else thinks is cool, it's my tank, my corals. You may like something, but someone esle may not like it, it's their opinion, everyone in most countries have a right to it, so treat everyone's opinion like you want your opinions treated, sorry for the rant.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reef Gardener

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when I named mine on Zoaid it was just for the fun of having one I named, not because I wanted to charge more for it. As far as morphing goes I agree that lighting and tank parameters can completely change a zoanthid or paly. Example:

Palys2.jpg

PICT0171b.jpg

Same zoa pre-morph and post-morph.

These steelblues completely morphed into green skirted with red rings.
Steelblues.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FnR
Back