Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an Eshopps PF-1200 overflow box running on a new build.

Previously, this same box worked on a 90 gallon without issue and is currently installed on a 125.

The issue is that there appears to be a huge amount of turbulence where water flows into the internal box. As water travels through the twin tubes, air bubbles are picked up.

Over time, the air bubbles become trapped in the tube. Eventually the bubble becomes so big that the siphon is broken.

I've been running it on one tube for the last 24 hours without issue. I'm guessing that is because when bubbles come out of the single tube, there isn't a second tube for them to go up. The bubbles come out of the single tube and continue on their way.

Why would this suddenly become a problem?

Dom

thomas_neil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an Eshopps PF-1200 overflow box running on a new build.

Previously, this same box worked on a 90 gallon without issue and is currently installed on a 125.

The issue is that there appears to be a huge amount of turbulence where water flows into the internal box. As water travels through the twin tubes, air bubbles are picked up.

Over time, the air bubbles become trapped in the tube. Eventually the bubble becomes so big that the siphon is broken.

I've been running it on one tube for the last 24 hours without issue. I'm guessing that is because when bubbles come out of the single tube, there isn't a second tube for them to go up. The bubbles come out of the single tube and continue on their way.

Why would this suddenly become a problem?

Dom
I had the same problem when I upgraded from a 40 to a 75, I eventually went with a bigger over flow since I had the nano one.

My guess is the increase flow. I put a sponge in the box to act as a bubble trap while I waited for a new one to come in.

Id check on the recommended flow for that box and see if you're over it.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem when I upgraded from a 40 to a 75, I eventually went with a bigger over flow since I had the nano one.

My guess is the increase flow. I put a sponge in the box to act as a bubble trap while I waited for a new one to come in.

Id check on the recommended flow for that box and see if you're over it.

The 1200 is the largest box they make.

But I'm with you; a bubble trap would solve the problem. I just worry a sponge may lead to a flood!

AS

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has only happened to me when the flow was way too low for the overflow box.

If the water moving through the tube isn't fast enough, bubbles can stick around and accumulate, causing exactly what you describe. If the flow is fast enough, the bubbles will get carried through the tube and you'll never see them.

Try increasing the flow, or try getting a smaller overflow box that more closely matches your return pump. If that's not possible, you could put some air tubing in the U tube and use an Aqualifter or dosing pump to periodically suck the air out.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back