Anyone use Seachem Prime in shipping bags when acclimating fish?

Nutramar

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated in the title, does anyone inject Seachem Prime into the shipping bags with a syringe or drop it in right after opening the bag so that the fish don't suffer any ammonia burn?

I don't know how quickly the change in pH occurs in the bag after opening or how quickly the ammonia turns toxic. I don't know how fast Seachem Prime detoxifies ammonia. I have read posts of new fish having a rough start, where commenters said it looked like they might have gotten ammonia burn. I am just wondering if this is a way to provide a bit of extra protection for stressed fish when they arrive and are starting acclimation.

@Slocke @i cant think @Petcrazyson I'm thinking specifically about the blue star leopard wrasse coming from Dr. Reef, hoping to make things as easy on the new gal as possible.

Thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it is best practice to float then dump, making sure you discard the shipping water. Better yet in your case, find out the water parameters of Dr. Reef and match those in a separate QT/observation tank and put him in there. Even though he is pre-QT you will want to make sure he is eating and stabilized before you put him in your DT.
This goes for any fish, pre-QT or not. Most places have a lower salinity 1.021 ish. This way you can bring up the salinity slowly but in a fresh batch of water and observe and make sure the fish eats.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back