Anyone tried the Hanna checker with the new reagents yet?

AI Nero 5

RSNJReef

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I had bought one of the Hanna magnesium checkers about 3-4 months ago, and it was one of the original checkers from back in June. I had the high reading like everyone else, but just bought the new reagents with the powder, and while the reading are a little better, they still seem pretty high.

when I use the old reagent: +1600
When I use the new reagent: around 1500 (1540 on one test, 1480 on another)
When I check with my salifert test, I get around 1400.

Does anyone else still have this problem, and is Hanna changing just the reagent or the checker as well?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I had bought one of the Hanna magnesium checkers about 3-4 months ago, and it was one of the original checkers from back in June. I had the high reading like everyone else, but just bought the new reagents with the powder, and while the reading are a little better, they still seem pretty high.

Does anyone else still have this problem, and is Hanna changing just the reagent or the checker as well?
Got the replacement 2 months ago...haven't used it yet :( I was hoping it was good

Avast

jrill

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

They sent me a whole new kit. New reagents and new checker

arafas

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone,

i see a similar result too. Not sure if its good might completely return the whole thing. Tired of this back and forth thing

Top Shelf Aquatics

OfficeReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'll let you know. Waiting on one now!

AV corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a new box with checker+agents about two/three months ago and was advised to just toss the original one in the trash. Original readings were really really high. The new checker+agents work great as my levels are now as expected and I check weekly with the same results.

The original checker came with A+B liquid agents, the new checker comes with A (liquid) + B (powder).

OP
OP
R

RSNJReef

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the follow up guys. I still have the original checker, but had bought the new reagents with the reagent b powder hoping it was just the reagents, but looks like the original checkers were malfunctional as well. I guess I’ll have to submit a replacement request for another kit.

Thanks all!!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

nbooks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received one of the new versions yesterday (7/2022 production stamp)

I purchased because my salifert was returning wonky results (2023 exp date but is probably a year old) - constant 1050-1100 readings, even after adding about 150g of Brightwells mag powder to my 220 (should have been about 50ppm increase based on their formula)

Hanna+new reagents first test came back at 1225 which seems much more in line for red sea blue bucket with no coral, bucket states 35ppt should be about 1280ppm mag i believe.

Simon_M

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the follow up guys. I still have the original checker, but had bought the new reagents with the reagent b powder hoping it was just the reagents, but looks like the original checkers were malfunctional as well. I guess I’ll have to submit a replacement request for another kit.

Thanks all!!
All the Testers have a 8 pin plug near the batter connector. I'm guessing that each test is programmed for the type of reagents, so reagents + tester will be linked. They may also have versions of the testers which are not the same. It would be a shame if the test wasn't calibrated to the reagents properly - very unlikely they would fail to get it right. When comparing two testers, it's difficult to know which to rely on. Also have to remember that there is a margin for error in all hobby tests.

AquaCave Logo Banner
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back