Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My First Saltwater Aquarium was in one of these, back in the mid-to late Sixties. My Dad and I were Epoxying some Pool Deck Furniture, and I Epoxied the frame where it could touch the Saltwater. Don’t remember the size of the Aquarium, but was considerably smaller than this Fifty-five Gallon.
2ECF7C9E-E707-4469-AF98-2C7696E0A796.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My First Saltwater Aquarium was in one of these, back in the mid-to late Sixties. My Dad and I were Epoxying some Pool Deck Furniture, and I Epoxied the frame where it could touch the Saltwater. Don’t remember the size of the Aquarium, but was considerably smaller than this Fifty-five Gallon. View attachment 3049896
Yes and were called" Metaframe tanks" with a slate bottom

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember those Hoods, LOL. You only touched them once when they were damp. After that, you unplugged them. Didn’t remember the filter, till I looked it up and saw the stick with the cap, for filling the “U” Tube. No lights on my Saltwater tanks back then. My Aquarium was on a East side window, would use blinds to control the light.

Avast
Top Shelf Aquatics

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a LFS that had them, we would walk around and touch two different tanks at the same time, sometimes you would get a little shock, of course my time to play I touched two tanks and all I remember was flying through the air and my friends looking down at me asking if I was ok.

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom gave me the 5-1/2 books of Blue Chip Stamps to get my first 5 gallon tank from the Blue Chip Stamp redemption center. I remember watching it come down on a roller rack from upstairs in their warehouse. I had a plastic corner bubble filter filled with charcoal and spun wool that I would change every week. We killed more fish removing the biological filter cleaning the tank too clean each time. Guppies and bunches of pond weed held together with a rubber band. I had to rebuild the air pump by replacing the flapper valves about once a month?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom gave me the 5-1/2 books of Blue Chip Stamps to get my first 5 gallon tank from the Blue Chip Stamp redemption center. I remember watching it come down on a roller rack from upstairs in their warehouse. I had a plastic corner bubble filter filled with charcoal and spun wool that I would change every week. We killed more fish removing the biological filter cleaning the tank too clean each time. Guppies and bunches of pond weed held together with a rubber band. I had to rebuild the air pump by replacing the flapper valves about once a month?
Blue chip stamps...another trip down memory lane LOL!

V A R I A N T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a Metaframe, with the metal lid and incandescent light. Even had a air driven bubble filter! The slate bottom was cool but what threw me for a loop was that it is sealed with tar!

Nutramar Foods

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember one of those in the bio classroom at community college in the early 80s had one with a piranha in it.
My family's friend who was a HS science teacher unloaded to me three of those along with metal hoods, hob filters, heaters and old aquarium pamphlets in the early eighties. I had two 15 gallon and a 5 gallon. Of course me being 11 at the time, I started with piranhas. One fish smashed a heater and actually smashed the side of the tank and cracked it. That's when I upgraded to a 38. The other 15 gal actually made it to college in the late 80's.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back