Anyone make 3D printed mounts for noop K7 and 8020?

Ecotech Marine
Top Shelf Aquatics

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put screws with washers in the mounting holes for my NooPsyche lights and then spaced my rails out to line up. There is enough of a gap to slide the lights but no so much that you notice the screws too badly.
IMG_8595.jpeg

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put screws with washers in the mounting holes for my NooPsyche lights and then spaced my rails out to line up. There is enough of a gap to slide the lights but no so much that you notice the screws too badly.
View attachment 3154708
Have actually looked at your mount a few times. So did you just run the screw in enough so that there was enough gap for the washer to fit within the railing?

AS
OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m thinking is using pvc baseboard to build a rectangular frame. Setting the 8020 parallel to the tank within the rectangular frame and screwing the frame to the wall. Would probably incorporate a small shelf within the frame to hold the power supply’s for the three lights and run the power cords through conduit behind the tank to the outlet. With the 8020 I could add a quanta bar down the road if I need to.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have actually looked at your mount a few times. So did you just run the screw in enough so that there was enough gap for the washer to fit within the railing?
I just got longer screws from lowes so that I could thread them in several complete turns and have enough sticking up so that I could hang them. I don’t remember the length of screws that I used though. I also used a drop of loctite to make sure they didn’t back out.

If I remember when I get home tonight I will slide a light to the end of the rail and take a picture.

The disadvantage of the way I did it is that you need two rails.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got longer screws from lowes so that I could thread them in several complete turns and have enough sticking up so that I could hang them. I don’t remember the length of screws that I used though. I also used a drop of loctite to make sure they didn’t back out.

If I remember when I get home tonight I will slide a light to the end of the rail and take a picture.

The disadvantage of the way I did it is that you need two rails.
That was my only thought was with the two rails vs one and a hanger like neon reef has for the radions.

Avast

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What I’m thinking is using pvc baseboard to build a rectangular frame. Setting the 8020 parallel to the tank within the rectangular frame and screwing the frame to the wall. Would probably incorporate a small shelf within the frame to hold the power supply’s for the three lights and run the power cords through conduit behind the tank to the outlet. With the 8020 I could add a quanta bar down the road if I need to.
You may want to look into extruded PVC ceiling tiles as a potential canopy material too. I use it extensively in my DIY projects. It may not be strong enough for your design so you'd have to consider an 8020 frame with a ceiling tile shell.

You could probably mount the Noops directly to the 8020 using a t-nut or similar attached to the supplied one screw mount or either of us could design a custom mount with more attachment points to the extrusions. Or, like Neon Reefer's cool Kesil mount that slides into the extrusion.

I do something similar for my noops and I just screw directly down into the mount from above. An 8020 right angle bracket might allow that.

Last edited:
AS
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Kessil
Back