Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up at my LFS and they didn’t know (even though a quite knowledgeable LFS). Closest looks like an astreopora to me given the purple body (quite purple under whites) and spaced apart green polyps…. I have the linked astreopora in my tank so it is definitely not that - polyp shape more like a micro goni… (Please ignore the bubble algae…. My emeralds will take care of it as soon as I attach it to the rock work. Hoping to figure out what it is first.)

showing open and then mostly closed polyps. Like the astreopora the polyps completely disappear when closed.

3AB5F874-3814-4E8E-9E40-F1FCC20BA423.jpeg
77E8EEFA-AD2D-4D55-9D81-499836FCA343.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
aurora.k

aurora.k

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also thought it could be an alveopora but didn’t quite look like it since I always think of alveopora as having “fat” tentacles, but then I searched again and was reminded alveopora have 12 tentacles (I think I knew that at one point), and this does so I think you’re right, @Erin1971Texas . I still can’t find any with similar looking polyps, though…

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also thought it could be an alveopora but didn’t quite look like it since I always think of alveopora as having “fat” tentacles, but then I searched again and was reminded alveopora have 12 tentacles (I think I knew that at one point), and this does so I think you’re right, @Erin1971Texas . I still can’t find any with similar looking polyps, though…
Yeah, I did a screenshot and searched with Google lens and found a few alveos that looked similar; then I counted the "petals" on several of the polyps in your pic and they were all 12.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back