Anyone know the DIY method that is closest to Red Sea Foundation B (Alkalinity) liquid?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the options seem to be sodium bicarb, or soda ash - but does anyone know what the Red Sea Alk liquid is based off of?

It definitely raises PH by a little - as my PH alert goes off when I dose - so I'm not sure if it's soda ash or bicarb or both.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the options seem to be sodium bicarb, or soda ash - but does anyone know what the Red Sea Alk liquid is based off of?

It definitely raises PH by a little - as my PH alert goes off when I dose - so I'm not sure if it's soda ash or bicarb or both.

Bicarbonate would not cause an immediate high pH alert, if that is what you get. It might cause a low pH alert if the set point is close to the current value.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicarbonate would not cause an immediate high pH alert, if that is what you get. It might cause a low pH alert if the set point is close to the current value.
My ph probe is right next to the doser so it goes up to 8.6-8.7 on the probe for a little bit before the Nero 3 gets it all mixed it up

But it doesn’t seem to significantly raise the Ph long term

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph probe is right next to the doser so it goes up to 8.6-8.7 on the probe for a little bit before the Nero 3 gets it all mixed it up

But it doesn’t seem to significantly raise the Ph long term

Nothing will raise it long term after a single dose, but regardless, it is not just bicarbonate. It is either carbonate or a mix of the two.

Exactly matching the pH effect of the Red Sea would not seem critical, IMO, and most folks are better off using carbonate, IMO.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy

It looks like the label says it’s sodium carbonate as well

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back