Anyone having experience with Bubble Magus 3EX Extreme Curve Protein Skimmer?

Ecotech Marine
Top Shelf Aquatics

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some assistance

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 DC Protein Skimmer - Simplicity$225.95SaltwaterAquarium.com
I hate trying to stretch someone budget, but this skimmer will only get better with time, great C/S long warranty, they actually answer the phone and browse on this site if there are questions or comments concerning their product, I own a DC 240, I am not affiliate with them.

The Bubble Magnus looks like a good skimmer for the money, if that is your budget go with that.

AquaCave Logo Banner

RedoubtReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Curve 5 has a Sicce pump, which would be waaayy nicer, and would give you a little more 'head room' for not much more:

Ahen12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one!

currently in my IM 50 Lagoon INT with the rfs 22 Sump (approx 55 gallons total after sand/rocks).

livestock is pretty bare as my cycle has just completed last week, currently have just a firefish, small CuC, frogspawn and RBTA (size of a quarter).

I’ve been running the skimmer constantly for over 2 weeks to try to break it in.

the two big issues I have with it is I feel the pump is too strong for the skimmer body (it’s the same pump that comes with the curve 5).

And you have to put a valve to adjust air flow.

at first it was like a pot of boiling water, but 2 weeks later and a tiny amount of livestock it is starting to settle in. I put a valve on the air line below the silencer, but whenever I adjust the amount of air, micro bubbles seep out of the body.

I think my system doesn’t have enough organically in the water for it to skim properly.

Within the week I will be adding 2 clowns and a sand sifting goby. So maybe the organic levels will rise and the skimmer can finally be dialed in.

If I am being honest I wish I spent the extra $60 and got the Simplicity 120 DC skimmer (it’s like $220 on Saltwateraquarium.com). It has a controllable pump and built in air valve for more precise tuning.

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one!

currently in my IM 50 Lagoon INT with the rfs 22 Sump (approx 55 gallons total after sand/rocks).

livestock is pretty bare as my cycle has just completed last week, currently have just a firefish, small CuC, frogspawn and RBTA (size of a quarter).

I’ve been running the skimmer constantly for over 2 weeks to try to break it in.

the two big issues I have with it is I feel the pump is too strong for the skimmer body (it’s the same pump that comes with the curve 5).

And you have to put a valve to adjust air flow.

at first it was like a pot of boiling water, but 2 weeks later and a tiny amount of livestock it is starting to settle in. I put a valve on the air line below the silencer, but whenever I adjust the amount of air, micro bubbles seep out of the body.

I think my system doesn’t have enough organically in the water for it to skim properly.

Within the week I will be adding 2 clowns and a sand sifting goby. So maybe the organic levels will rise and the skimmer can finally be dialed in.

If I am being honest I wish I spent the extra $60 and got the Simplicity 120 DC skimmer (it’s like $220 on Saltwateraquarium.com). It has a controllable pump and built in air valve for more precise tuning.
I went with curve 3 ex too. Thanks for the feedback. Mine is still in its break in phase. Now the overflowing stopped and bubbles are at the neck with 3-4 inches below the cup. Only option is to get the water intake adjusted to optimize it. Hope it will start skimming once bioload increases. Its a bit on the noisier side as well. Not sure if you have noise as well.

AquaCave Logo Banner
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back