Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mixed reef in the past and really enjoyed it. Took the tank down after a crash and remodeling and ultimately sold everything. Now a couple years later, I have a 75 gallon tank in my possession. I don't have time for the maintenance of a reef tank currently and wonder if I'll even be happy with a fowlr tank. Anybody have pics of your scape on a fowlr or advice?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks don't have to be hard. I top off daily, little bit of baking soda water with it. Today is the first water change I've done in months. Everything doing great. However GSP has me considering tearing it all down, so I see your point also.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mixed reef in the past and really enjoyed it. Took the tank down after a crash and remodeling and ultimately sold everything. Now a couple years later, I have a 75 gallon tank in my possession. I don't have time for the maintenance of a reef tank currently and wonder if I'll even be happy with a fowlr tank. Anybody have pics of your scape on a fowlr or advice?

I love my FOWLR tank....

The most important part of a scape in a FOWLR tank is to have enough caves and hiding places for all the fish to be able to hide and feel safe. After the lights go down on this tank no fish can be seen. They are all hidden. Except my Long nose Hawk, he perches on the glass cleaner all night,

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my FOWLR tank....

The most important part of a scape in a FOWLR tank is to have enough caves and hiding places for all the fish to be able to hide and feel safe. After the lights go down on this tank no fish can be seen. They are all hidden. Except my Long nose Hawk, he perches on the glass cleaner all night,

Gosh seeing these giant rimless tanks is so scary!

Beautiful fish

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks don't have to be hard. I top off daily, little bit of baking soda water with it. Today is the first water change I've done in months. Everything doing great. However GSP has me considering tearing it all down, so I see your point also.
I had a lot of sps before. Was pretty upset when it crashed. Thousands of dollars gone. I could maybe go to softies moving forward. Also thought about clown harem and anemones.

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180 gallon reef for a year before I converted it to a fowlr. I didn’t have a tank crash or anything like that I just didn’t enjoy the coral as much as non reef safe safe fish not to mention all the extra work the coral required. But what you have to ask yourself is are there fish that you couldn’t keep in a reef tank that will be suitable in a 75 gallon tank? Most fish associated with fowlr tanks require more real estate due to size and more importantly the waste they produce. There are smaller eels and puffers you could put in there it’s just depends on what you want and is it going to make you happy. Just something to consider.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180 gallon reef for a year before I converted it to a fowlr. I didn’t have a tank crash or anything like that I just didn’t enjoy the coral as much as non reef safe safe fish not to mention all the extra work the coral required. But what you have to ask yourself is are there fish that you couldn’t keep in a reef tank that will be suitable in a 75 gallon tank? Most fish associated with fowlr tanks require more real estate due to size and more importantly the waste they produce. There are smaller eels and puffers you could put in there it’s just depends on what you want and is it going to make you happy. Just something to consider.
I love puffers but they destroy everything. My wife wanted me to get one in the old tank.

I do like the bigger fish but I don't have the tank for it currently.

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love puffers but they destroy everything. My wife wanted me to get one in the old tank.

I do like the bigger fish but I don't have the tank for it currently.
The sharp nose puffers are perfect for your 75 and my experience is they’re not too destructive. They don’t have the personality of the bigger puffers though IMO.

dennis romano

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest the tobies for your wife. You could set up a smaller predator tank. Some fish would be a harlequin bass, hamlets, dwarf lions, squirrelfish and smaller scorps. For movement, add a medium size angel like a black Poma.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest the tobies for your wife. You could set up a smaller predator tank. Some fish would be a harlequin bass, hamlets, dwarf lions, squirrelfish and smaller scorps. For movement, add a medium size angel like a black Poma.
I love the lions. They kinda scare me but I think it would be cool to have one. Not really familiar with the others.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot of sps before. Was pretty upset when it crashed. Thousands of dollars gone. I could maybe go to softies moving forward. Also thought about clown harem and anemones.

I switched to softies from a mixed tank and ignored the tank for a year other then top off and feeding fish and it did well lol

I think the only reason to go FOWLR is for really unsafe coral eating fish and larger tanks look best a FOWLR since they can get impressive fish.

Otherwise low maintenance corals still look fantastic. Something about bare rock just doesn’t look great to me.

Jay'sReefBugs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're questioning if a Fish only system will be worth it then you already answered your own question. You had coral before at some point you will go back so I would just wait until you're ready . Once the reef bug bites you it doesn't go away for long lol .

Top Shelf Aquatics

Gatorpa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Predator reefs are cool as well.
However a 75 is a bit small, as mentioned above dwarf lion fish are great, smaller triggers and wrasses.

Add in some leathers, Nepthias even the dreaded xenia and it’s great a keeping nutrients down

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back