Any danger or harm from using red slime remover??

BRS

steallife904

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 mixed reef. I have had some areas growing red slime for some time. Its probably due to lack of flow there but there isn't much i can do to improve that. I take it out during water changes but comes back. I have considered trying a red slime remover but nervous to do so even though they say reef safe. Anything i should worry about? Or go for it?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will kill it, but be aware that if you don't fix the underlying issue(seems to be from low flow in that area) it will come back.

I personally just suck it out with my WC's in spots on my sandbed it tends to grow in(again low flow areas). I have used the chemiclean method on the past, but again, it always comes back in those areas.

aquakj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use it when its really bad, if you can just siphon and clean it off and it works thats always better but if its being stubborn using the red slime remover will work, you should be good just make sure you dose correctly dont be to nervous about it , theres nothing to worry about ive used multiple times never had issues, and i only used it once thats how goood it works against red slime

Top Shelf Aquatics

hhaase

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff will hit the oxygen content in your tank pretty hard, so you need to make sure every tool you have to maintain oxygenation is running. Your skimmer will also go nuts (assuming you run one), but you need to keep it going to keep the water oxygenated.

When I did it in my tank a year or so ago, I pulled the drain plug from the skimmer collection cup so that the water just ran back into the tank. If you're not running a skimmer, plan to have an increase of overall surface water turbulence and look into adding multiple airstones.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 mixed reef. I have had some areas growing red slime for some time. Its probably due to lack of flow there but there isn't much i can do to improve that. I take it out during water changes but comes back. I have considered trying a red slime remover but nervous to do so even though they say reef safe. Anything i should worry about? Or go for it?

The issues people have with red slime remover varies as some cyano's are toxic so when it dies off it can cause problems. Some forms contain stuff similar to palytoxin. There is no way of knowing. If you suck out the sheets of cyano before treatment, this will help ofc.

The other problem is it can lower oxygen and some fish are more sensitive this.. Achilles would be an example.

OP
OP
S

steallife904

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i worry about it harming the coral??

Yep im afraid it will probably come back, I'm thinking of adding a diamond goby to the tank to help stir up the sand. I have snails and some conchs but they just don't get at it enough ;)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

hhaase

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i worry about it harming the coral??

Yep im afraid it will probably come back, I'm thinking of adding a diamond goby to the tank to help stir up the sand. I have snails and some conchs but they just don't get at it enough ;)

Had no effect on my corals at all.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all you do is manually clean the tank, leaving no red slime, knowing it will grow back

then dose it in the clean condition, so there's nothing to rot, and attack the leftover cells vs use it as the remover/leaving in the mass to rot

use it as a preventative in the totally clean condition you caused, vs a remover in the hands off/full mass condition-that's what the masses do/has ranging safety outcomes we can see on searching.

use it in reverse order of ops from the masses for the win. it works but this tunes the safety angle nicely. you can use less of it too

JGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I never understood with Chemiclean or red slime remover is how is it able differentiate between cyano and good bacteria. Is it really engineered to just kill the bad?

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back