Anthias showing bruising internal? 5 days into QT.

nessjosh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered 4 Anthias from LiveAquaria - got them 3/1/2023. Today is 3/7

New 20g QT setup- fresh saltmix at 1.021
They were eating right away, spinulra, reef plankton, mysis, brine...
Yesterday i lost 2. Seen in picture for 7 day guarantee with LiveAquaria they seem to have bruising similar to the one thats still in the tank.
That one has the worst bruising. It can be seen from both sides, this photo side is the worst.

I wasn't going to add meds unless i needed to. After the two died yesterday I added 1 tsp Prazi to the 20g tank. The other two looked fine until this morning.
Now its in rough shape.

I added the first Gen Cure packet today and 5 scoops of Kanaplex to the 20g.

I'm guessing its too late for this guy, but there is one other Anthia and a juvi Empower Angel in the tank. No aggression noticed.
I'm thinking ammonia and nitrites cant be that high since the tank has only had fish in it for 5 days. I added an ammonia reducing pad to the hangon filter.

Any suggestions? Emp Angel seems fine as does the 4th anthia.

20230306_165143.jpg
20230307_091947.jpg
20230307_092053_resized.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like uronema, which commonly affects anthias. Unfortunately, there is no effective treatment for the disease.
Angels do not typically get it, and all anthias may not.
I would recommend transferring survivors to a sterile qt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ordered 4 Anthias from LiveAquaria - got them 3/1/2023. Today is 3/7

New 20g QT setup- fresh saltmix at 1.021
They were eating right away, spinulra, reef plankton, mysis, brine...
Yesterday i lost 2. Seen in picture for 7 day guarantee with LiveAquaria they seem to have bruising similar to the one thats still in the tank.
That one has the worst bruising. It can be seen from both sides, this photo side is the worst.

I wasn't going to add meds unless i needed to. After the two died yesterday I added 1 tsp Prazi to the 20g tank. The other two looked fine until this morning.
Now its in rough shape.

I added the first Gen Cure packet today and 5 scoops of Kanaplex to the 20g.

I'm guessing its too late for this guy, but there is one other Anthia and a juvi Empower Angel in the tank. No aggression noticed.
I'm thinking ammonia and nitrites cant be that high since the tank has only had fish in it for 5 days. I added an ammonia reducing pad to the hangon filter.

Any suggestions? Emp Angel seems fine as does the 4th anthia.

View attachment 3052818
View attachment 3052819
View attachment 3052820
Unfortunately uronema and is intercellular. Best treatment choice is a 45 min formalin bath using Quick Cure then finished in a quarantine tank. Once in QT tank, treat and assure that the parasites have been eliminated. You can also soak food in metronidazole . . . Seachem Metroplex for 10-14 days. Quick cure is hard to find so you may have to resort to Ruby Rally pro which will take a little longer
To prepare you, fish may or may not make it at this progression

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
OP
OP
nessjosh

nessjosh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks All - all signs point to Uronema. I wasn't aware of this disease until now. My Emp Angel seems to be doing fine, but I lost all 4 Anthias within the 7 day guarantee. Probably won't be buying anymore anytime soon. I'm starting to lose faith in these online retailers. I think it will be worth the $$$ to buy local and buy QT'd fish from now on.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks All - all signs point to Uronema. I wasn't aware of this disease until now. My Emp Angel seems to be doing fine, but I lost all 4 Anthias within the 7 day guarantee. Probably won't be buying anymore anytime soon. I'm starting to lose faith in these online retailers. I think it will be worth the $$$ to buy local and buy QT'd fish from now on.
Yeah I've done 2 or 3 batches of anthias in the past. All but one of those I had at least one come with uronema. The first batch I lost most of them because I didn't understand what was going on and treated them with antibiotics that didn't work. Once they get to where there is open wounds they are really hard to save if not impossible. If you get anthias it's important to have metronidazole on hand. I use ruby rally and will treat my entire QT with it if I suspect Uronema. Anthias live ony 2 to 3 years for me so sometimes I feel like they aren't worth it. BUT I have one bi color and lyretail that have have lived for 5 years! Also ruby rally pro says it's reef safe, don't believe it, if you buy it NEVER put it into your DT

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back