Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I can get some input and experiences for someone. I would really like to stock my 75 gallon with three lyretail anthias. My understanding they are the heartiest of the species. I had one a few months ago and it only lived a week. My tank was approximately a year old at the time I’m coming up on my two-year mark. I have a great filtration system where I can keep up with the heavier feeding. My tank is 4 foot long with a lot of open water and approximately 85 pounds of live rock. I have no problem feeding multiple times a day. I’m seeing the size of them in stores from 2 inches to 3 inches.

also, besides feeding multiple times a day, is this a difficult species own?

Stocking for 75g long.

1.5 years old

0 phos, 5ish for nitrate

Currently have:

2 clowns
3 blue green chromis
1 royal gramma
1 stary blenny
2 fire fish
1 watchman goby (seen on day one, very small hope he is hiding)
1 6 line
2 molleys (my two starters since the start)

1 blood shrimp
1 sandshifting star
Snails and crabs for the clean up

I want to add yet:

3 lyretails anthias
1 blue eyed kole tang
1 green mandarin goby (when I’m confident . )

Thoughts?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept lyretails before and I think they live up the reputation of being the less picky of the family. However 3 is a number that is really questionable for the health of them. 1 male to 2 females would have the male constantly bothering the females, resulting in death in many occasions. So it would be best to have 5 or more of these fish at least. This disperses the aggravation from the male. 3 can be done but it’s very risky for the health of the females.

OP
OP
G

Gordon15

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept lyretails before and I think they live up the reputation of being the less picky of the family. However 3 is a number that is really questionable for the health of them. 1 male to 2 females would have the male constantly bothering the females, resulting in death in many occasions. So it would be best to have 5 or more of these fish at least. This disperses the aggravation from the male. 3 can be done but it’s very risky for the health of the females.
I would be starting with three females. Would that help with the aggression? I know one may or may not turn male one day. I think 5 would be too many for my size tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be starting with three females. Would that help with the aggression? I know one may or may not turn male one day.
One always turns male. Having all females at one time is beneficial for a certain time but then that turns to constant squabbling, leading towards a male.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you see that there is enough space and adequate territory to house the group with all the other fish 5 would be a good number in a 75.

One fish I do see may turn problematic is the Sixline. Everyone loves them but they turn into terrors. They actually attack other fish especially wrasse and even large bodied fish. Especially once older.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hopefully I can get some input and experiences for someone. I would really like to stock my 75 gallon with three lyretail anthias. My understanding they are the heartiest of the species. I had one a few months ago and it only lived a week. My tank was approximately a year old at the time I’m coming up on my two-year mark. I have a great filtration system where I can keep up with the heavier feeding. My tank is 4 foot long with a lot of open water and approximately 85 pounds of live rock. I have no problem feeding multiple times a day. I’m seeing the size of them in stores from 2 inches to 3 inches.

also, besides feeding multiple times a day, is this a difficult species own?

Stocking for 75g long.

1.5 years old

0 phos, 5ish for nitrate

Currently have:

2 clowns
3 blue green chromis
1 royal gramma
1 stary blenny
2 fire fish
1 watchman goby (seen on day one, very small hope he is hiding)
1 6 line
2 molleys (my two starters since the start)

1 blood shrimp
1 sandshifting star
Snails and crabs for the clean up

I want to add yet:

3 lyretails anthias
1 blue eyed kole tang
1 green mandarin goby (when I’m confident . )

Thoughts?
Having anthias, lyretails seem to bicker with each other but offer movement within tank and need lots of hiding. They are less picky with foods and eat everything offered. Assure at purchase they are eating, get along with other fish at store display and have NO skin blemishes or injury and breathing normal.

OP
OP
G

Gordon15

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you see that there is enough space and adequate territory to house the group with all the other fish 5 would be a good number in a 75.

One fish I do see may turn problematic is the Sixline. Everyone loves them but they turn into terrors. They actually attack other fish especially wrasse and even large bodied fish. Especially once older.
What is your opinion on getting three initially and adding two more in the future? I think five would be too rough on the bio load. My six line has been an idle fish, but I’ve heard that before from other people, his attention is on the two mollies in the tank he does not like them.

OP
OP
G

Gordon15

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having anthias, lyretails seem to bicker with each other but offer movement within tank and need lots of hiding. They are less picky with foods and eat everything offered. Assure at purchase they are eating, get along with other fish at store display and have NO skin blemishes or injury and breathing normal.
Thank you. I think I have a good amount of space and my rocks are tight, but there is a lot of room for hiding. I had one before and he got along with everyone for the seven days and had multiple hiding spots. The first two days I did not see him at all. I probably just got a sick one. Now I’m afraid to pull the trigger but 75 gallon limits the type of fish and this would be perfect. Add a lot of color and character.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you. I think I have a good amount of space and my rocks are tight, but there is a lot of room for hiding. I had one before and he got along with everyone for the seven days and had multiple hiding spots. The first two days I did not see him at all. I probably just got a sick one. Now I’m afraid to pull the trigger but 75 gallon limits the type of fish and this would be perfect. Add a lot of color and character.
Another thing you can consider which is optional is to give any you get a 45 min ruby rally bath to alleviate any chance of disease specifically Uronema - again optional

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your opinion on getting three initially and adding two more in the future? I think five would be too rough on the bio load. My six line has been an idle fish, but I’ve heard that before from other people, his attention is on the two mollies in the tank he does not like them.
That may work especially if you have some aggression from other fish, but it depends on the spacing? For how long of a period of time would you add the others?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do 3 female then add 2 in 1-2 months or so. Make sure that the last 2 are not smaller than the initial 3 and are eating extremely well. I did it similar to this.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Lyretails in my 90. I started with two females and one, the smallest of the group, transitioning to male. Funny the transitioning male never turned male and one of the bigger females did. They do fine in my 90. But, after about a year and a half, they are much bigger than I thought they would get.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back