Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok to all you Anion resin users, i just switched over and got my first bag of the stuff... the ammonia (or strong oder )smell that came from the bag when i opend it about knock me down.. is this normal? the cation resin had 0 oder...plus my rodi water smell like it as well.

AS

MNFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok to all you Anion resin users, i just switched over and got my first bag of the stuff... the ammonia (or strong oder )smell that came from the bag when i opend it about knock me down.. is this normal? the cation resin had 0 oder...plus my rodi water smell like it as well.
Yes it is normal, and I have noticed the first few gallons or so smell like it as well. I have always thrown out the first few gallons after I refill a filter. After that I notice the water has no smell at all. It is probably safe to use even with the smell but I like to play it safe.

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha.

My sense of smell doesn’t work, but my family goes batsh*t crazy when they smell it. They compare it to a dead, rotting fish. lol

Nutramar Foods

MNFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha.

My sense of smell doesn’t work, but my family goes batsh*t crazy when they smell it. They compare it to a dead, rotting fish. lol
I just switched mine out today and the wife said the whole house smelled like fish, maybe my sense of smell is not so good either as I think it smells but not terrible hahah

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched mine out today
Me too! Fortunately, my family wasn't home! :D

I will say that anion resin has fumes. I accidentally inhaled it, and it did not feel good for my throat lol.

Top Shelf Aquatics

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more chime in, I always change mine outside and put the old used resin in the thick plastic bag my salt comes in until I take out the trash. I also buy the big bags of resin and store it in a 2.5 gallon sealed container inside a 5 gal old salt bucket with sealed lid. That almost seals off the stank!! I've got to change it out today. I'm on a well and the anion resin is the only one that ever gets used up. Totally saves me $$$ only changing the one resin instead of mixed.

OP
OP
david campbell

david campbell

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife complains of the smell I make when I regenerate mine with sodium hydroxide, she’s not too keen on the smell of the sodium hydroxide either.
glad to here this.....my wife smelled it from Canada AKA the other end of the house.... i heard a fant voice in the distance yell.."omg what that smell"

it's rechargeable?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's your process time, limits etc.
Mix a 5% lye water solution in an appropriately sized bucket. Add depleted resin. Stir gently. Let's sit 30-90 min stirring occasionally. Rinse in rodi. Done. I repack mine while still damp because it is a bit easier. They will shrink a bit when dried completely.

Nutramar Foods

West1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix a 5% lye water solution in an appropriately sized bucket. Add depleted resin. Stir gently. Let's sit 30-90 min stirring occasionally. Rinse in rodi. Done. I repack mine while still damp because it is a bit easier. They will shrink a bit when dried completely.

mom going to start the triple DI filter this weekend, I never knew Anion was rechargeable! How many recharges have you gone before buying new?

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! My wife raises ten levels of He11 when I open the bag in a separate room. I personally don’t find it that bad unless I cram my face down into the bag! I just wish I could find someone that sells the resins separately besides brs!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mom going to start the triple DI filter this weekend, I never knew Anion was rechargeable! How many recharges have you gone before buying new?
I haven't bought new yet. I have done it maybe 10 times. I have needed to "top it off" with fresh resin occasionally due to some spilling and what not. It is possible that it looses some efficiency or capacity over time but I cant say that I have noticed.

Nutramar Foods
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back