Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I started this hobby, I started with clowns (they were recommended and I went with LFS' advice)... I like them, they don't seem to bully or have issues with anyone else in the tank. My question comes from the lack of an anenome. Originally I wanted to get an anemone for them because I knew they hosted. I was told too soon for that and many will kill your corals, the clowns will host somewhere else and be fine. Fast forward almost a year, while they have one side of the tank they prefer - they've not seemed to host or play through any of the corals. Up, down, side to side, swim everywhere - yes. Originally they seemed to nestle in the sand, now I often find them near the surface. So I'm starting to second guess things and wondering if I should give them and anemome - and if I do, what kind is safe for the other corals and now would I need to worry for the few other fish in the tank? It brings a world of questions and I have tried researching, but I'd like to know y'alls opinion as well.

We have 10 fish currently plus snails, shrimp, and crabs. My corals are quite spaced and mostly smaller as I didn't start with any colonies - there is certainly growth but not flourishing just yet. We have a Red Sea Reefer xl 525 with 2 ecotech marine radion xr30s and 2 vortech mp40wqd fans.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to want to host pretty big corals usually if they host them, but clowns are weird. Sometimes they'll host a single Duncan head. Sometimes you'll have a 1 foot wide long tentacle anemone they don't touch. The only real way to guide them is to put in a natural host like a gigantea or a magnifica which I really wouldn't recommend. They do what they want

OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to want to host pretty big corals usually if they host them, but clowns are weird. Sometimes they'll host a single Duncan head. Sometimes you'll have a 1 foot wide long tentacle anemone they don't touch. The only real way to guide them is to put in a natural host like a gigantea or a magnifica which I really wouldn't recommend. They do what they want
Thanks. Will hope they'll enjoy the duncan forest once it's bigger (they are in their preferred corner, just never see them in them currently).

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Will hope they'll enjoy the duncan forest once it's bigger (they are in their preferred corner, just never see them in them currently).
The only time I've had clowns host they hosted a forest of green hairy rhodactis shrooms tank had 3 massive bubble tip nems

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So when I started this hobby, I started with clowns (they were recommended and I went with LFS' advice)... I like them, they don't seem to bully or have issues with anyone else in the tank. My question comes from the lack of an anenome. Originally I wanted to get an anemone for them because I knew they hosted. I was told too soon for that and many will kill your corals, the clowns will host somewhere else and be fine. Fast forward almost a year, while they have one side of the tank they prefer - they've not seemed to host or play through any of the corals. Up, down, side to side, swim everywhere - yes. Originally they seemed to nestle in the sand, now I often find them near the surface. So I'm starting to second guess things and wondering if I should give them and anemome - and if I do, what kind is safe for the other corals and now would I need to worry for the few other fish in the tank? It brings a world of questions and I have tried researching, but I'd like to know y'alls opinion as well.

We have 10 fish currently plus snails, shrimp, and crabs. My corals are quite spaced and mostly smaller as I didn't start with any colonies - there is certainly growth but not flourishing just yet. We have a Red Sea Reefer xl 525 with 2 ecotech marine radion xr30s and 2 vortech mp40wqd fans.

After 4 -6 months and steady readings with nirate and ph, you can sure add a nem. Best for clowns are bubble tips followed by long tenticle versions. Assure tank does not have too much light or flow but rather moderate as the anemone can be miserable in any other scenarios.

OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 4 -6 months and steady readings with nirate and ph, you can sure add a nem. Best for clowns are bubble tips followed by long tenticle versions. Assure tank does not have too much light or flow but rather moderate as the anemone can be miserable in any other scenarios.
And those are reef safe? I feel like I had read bubble tips moved a bit... maybe that was just when they first get introduced to the tank, not sure. Will research them more. Sounds like I may have to watch flow a bit too

OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I've had clowns host they hosted a forest of green hairy rhodactis shrooms tank had 3 massive bubble tip nems
Good to know - we do have one of those growing well too... though I've never seen them near it. At least it sounds like we have a few they MAY choose to like eventually

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
And those are reef safe? I feel like I had read bubble tips moved a bit... maybe that was just when they first get introduced to the tank, not sure. Will research them more. Sounds like I may have to watch flow a bit too
They move if you give too much flow. I have 5 and been in same spot always. Too much flow -they move. Too little and they shrivel or head for powerheads which you dont want. Too little light and they again climb and too much light , they expel their zooxanthellae and go into hiding.

OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They move if you give too much flow. I have 5 and been in same spot always. Too much flow -they move. Too little and they shrivel or head for powerheads which you dont want. Too little light and they again climb and too much light , they expel their zooxanthellae and go into hiding.
Thank you

AquaCave Logo Banner

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clowns, especially captive bread…are dumb. They will hot powerheads, return nozzles, a novelty SpongeBob house you put in the tank for your son. There is no “a sure fire way to host is to us “x” anemone”. I’ve had a giant carpet anemone (about 15lbs worth) and my clowns chose a sickly 3 headed Duncan. Then I’ve had clowns host all my BTA’s -they had a summer home anemone on the left side of the tank they’d visit.

The only way that I’ve seen it work is to create a cage or bowl about 2x the size of the anemone and get the clowns in there with the anemone until they fall in love. It isn’t easy and requires DIY….and the clowns may still move on to hosting an acropora for some reason.

I have so many anemones. I have one that once ate a yellow tang. I’m sitting here seeing them smooshed against aggressive acropora, zoas, and bounce mushrooms and everyone seems to be happy. My experience in 10+ years is that yes anemones walk in annoying ways but I’ve never had one leave a path of destruction in its wake. Anecdotal. But my 2 cents.

OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns, especially captive bread…are dumb. They will hot powerheads, return nozzles, a novelty SpongeBob house you put in the tank for your son. There is no “a sure fire way to host is to us “x” anemone”. I’ve had a giant carpet anemone (about 15lbs worth) and my clowns chose a sickly 3 headed Duncan. Then I’ve had clowns host all my BTA’s -they had a summer home anemone on the left side of the tank they’d visit.

The only way that I’ve seen it work is to create a cage or bowl about 2x the size of the anemone and get the clowns in there with the anemone until they fall in love. It isn’t easy and requires DIY….and the clowns may still move on to hosting an acropora for some reason.

I have so many anemones. I have one that once ate a yellow tang. I’m sitting here seeing them smooshed against aggressive acropora, zoas, and bounce mushrooms and everyone seems to be happy. My experience in 10+ years is that yes anemones walk in annoying ways but I’ve never had one leave a path of destruction in its wake. Anecdotal. But my 2 cents.
Appreciated, thanks

Jharris032

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you in advance for your time and advice
My did the same thing until one day I noticed this…it took about 7 or 8 months
934DEF5F-1DD3-4E8A-A0F3-18443B560679.jpeg

Avast
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AVAST
Back