Anemone's lack of feeding response/sticky tentacles?

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outward signs of an anemone being healthy: tight mouth, full inflation, foot well seated, good color saturation, reactive to touch, strong basking behavior, sticky tentacles, and feeding response.
How worried would you be if your nem demonstrated all of the above characteristics but was lacking a consistent feeding response and/or lack of sticky tentacles?
I spot feed all my nems very small pieces (pea size) of mysis, clam, shrimp, or mussel every two weeks.
My bright yellow with pink/fuscia colored base, thinking a Marshal Islands specimen, has been in the tank for almost 9 months now. For the past 3 weeks, it has not demonstrated a very strong feeding response and its tentacles are not consistently sticky as they were prior. Tonight, it lightly latched onto a small piece of mysis, but did not bring it to its mouth to feed. I gave it 15 minutes to feed, but once my pumps turned back on, its grip was not strong enough to hold onto the mysis and it flew off.
All other outward signs of health are there.
All other nems, all species, have good eating responses.
All tank parameters are stable and have not changed.
Another point to consider, I do soak all my food in Selcon and garlic extract for 30 minutes prior to feeding.

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about it, this nem has been wandering the tank over the past few weeks. For several months, it was mid tank, directly under the junction of two Kessil A360WE's and very high flow, then moved to the lower tank which put it more directly under a single Kessil for about two weeks and lower flow, and is now back to mid tank under the combined junction of two Kessils and high flow. Lighting intensity and schedule have remained unchanged. Perhaps it doesn't have the inclination, or need, to feed during its "walk about"? Maybe now that it appears settled back in, it will begin a more consistent feeding response?
This particular nem is also the favorite of my snow storm pair. I'm now wondering if they are feeding it throughout the day that I don't see?
I guess thinking things out loud brings you your own answers sometimes?

Groovyd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking about feeding ad my Anenomi is not showing the green color it had when I bought it a month ago . I have an Anenomi crab living in it that I feed pieces of fish. Very new to reef talk. Help please!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back