Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I posted I wasn’t sure about my anemone…today when I went to turn the tank light on, the water was extremely cloudy! My anemone was deflated expelling white waste (I feed mysis); he’s attached to the rock pretty well. I took a nap and noticed he is STILL deflated. I was going to try and take him out but he’s attached to the rock really really well. And when I touched him, he closed up. So I’m just leaving him alone but I have a gut feeling he is dying inside. I’ve never seen one deflated this long! Everything else is doing well. Maybe there is a chemical warfare?

506F53F2-D0E7-40ED-97BB-6E0A6E4C725F.jpeg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry... but we will need much more information.

1. How long is the Anemone in the tank?
2. What kind of lighting are you using?
3. What are your complete water test results (please post your most recent test results)?
4. How old is the tank?
5. Are you running a sump?

Please provide a full tank picture.

AKG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I posted I wasn’t sure about my anemone…today when I went to turn the tank light on, the water was extremely cloudy! My anemone was deflated expelling white waste (I feed mysis); he’s attached to the rock pretty well. I took a nap and noticed he is STILL deflated. I was going to try and take him out but he’s attached to the rock really really well. And when I touched him, he closed up. So I’m just leaving him alone but I have a gut feeling he is dying inside. I’ve never seen one deflated this long! Everything else is doing well. Maybe there is a chemical warfare?

View attachment 2903879
I know this isn't going to help you immediately but we need a photo under white lights to assess whatever is going on. Blue light is really good at hiding problems.

Post one and you'll get help way faster!!!

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

View attachment 2903879
Likely the lighting is your issue and in the future - Any images best under white lighting for proper assessment. I cant tell what type anemone based on darkness of pics but some pointers on anemones- If this is a newer tank, anemones dont do well in tanks under 4 months even up to six months because they are generally sensative to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape which often requires water changes. Anything less Can result in early death and even damage to the tank parameters.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the system cycle for a few months. This assures that conditions are stable and safe for the anemone.
Anemones prefer warmer temp and the water should be slightly on the alkali side. Monitor water regularly to assure there are no major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be safe verified by using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < 5 -10
  • Phosphate < .04 - .08
Acclimation is very important for them as well as introduction. Most anemones will move around the tank until they find a suitable spot in the tank to call home. If anemone starts to move , simply direct your water flow towards the coral. Anemone lighting is an important part of their care as they need good light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce their energy source for food and growth. Anemones have zooxanthellae in their body which they feed on. Without adequate lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae which many think is poop and turn white which is bleaching and often leads to their death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended as well as moderate light. Too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone which stresses them.
Assure your light is moderate and flow is not excessive in your case

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely the lighting is your issue and in he future - Any images best under white lighting for proper assessment. I cant tell what type anemone based on darkness of pics but some pointers on anemones- If this is a newer tank, anemones dont do well in tanks under 4 months even up to six months because they are generally sensative to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape which often requires water changes. Anything less Can result in early death and even damage to the tank parameters.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the system cycle for a few months. This assures that conditions are stable and safe for the anemone.
Anemones prefer warmer temp and the water should be slightly on the alkali side. Monitor water regularly to assure there are no major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be safe verified by using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < 5 -10
  • Phosphate < .04 - .06
Acclimation is very important for them as well as introduction. Most anemones will move around the tank until they find a suitable spot in the tank to call home. If anemone starts to move , simply direct your water flow to the coral. Anemone lighting is an important part of their care as they need good light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce their inner food and growth. Anemones have zooxanthellae in their body which they feed on. Without adequate lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae which many think is poop and turn white which is bleaching and often leads to their death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended as well as moderate light. Too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone which stresses them.
Assure your light is moderate and flow is not excessive in your case
The tank is a year. It’s a bubble tip. My parameters are where they need to be. He’s the only one not looking well. My hammer Coral and everyone else are doing really well. He’s been deflated for 5-6 hours now but he’s still footed very well. Maybe I’m just paranoid but I’ve never seen him deflated like this. It’s not the flow or light. He’s been doing well for a long time, so I’m not sure what happened all of a sudden. I noticed the last 2-3 days he’s been deflating a lot, all day and today he’s been just staying deflated and my tank was extremely cloudy when i turned on the lights. I just checked on him and this is him now. Maybe I’m just being paranoid? Lol I dunno! I just have never seen him deflated so much

85E8062E-B1D1-4D4D-817D-EAEFE9357081.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The tank is a year. It’s a bubble tip. My parameters are where they need to be. He’s the only one not looking well. My hammer Coral and everyone else are doing really well. He’s been deflated for 5-6 hours now but he’s still footed very well. Maybe I’m just paranoid but I’ve never seen him deflated like this. It’s not the flow or light. He’s been doing well for a long time, so I’m not sure what happened all of a sudden. I noticed the last 2-3 days he’s been deflating a lot, all day and today he’s been just staying deflated and my tank was extremely cloudy when i turned on the lights. I just checked on him and this is him now. Maybe I’m just being paranoid? Lol I dunno! I just have never seen him deflated so much

View attachment 2904121
Ok- Bubble tip which is moody. I have 4 and they do this occasionally
Has light-flow- changed or recent water change ?

Avast
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok- Bubble tip which is moody. I have 4 and they do this occasionally
Has light-flow- changed or recent water change ?
I did a water change yesterday but that’s never caused it to act that way. A water change actually never effected my anemone. Now his foot is super swollen with small tentacles. He just goes back and forth between deflated or super chunky foot with small tenticles. It’s just strange cause I’ve never seen this behavior. I did turn down the heat like you mentioned. I have it on 79 but I don’t think it’s that. I mean I guess it looks okay. Maybe he’s getting ready to split? This is the pic of it now with the swollen foot

458F801C-39C8-49C3-A9AA-32C4B6F492C2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I did a water change yesterday but that’s never caused it to act that way. A water change actually never effected my anemone. Now his foot is super swollen with small tentacles. He just goes back and forth between deflated or super chunky foot with small tenticles. It’s just strange cause I’ve never seen this behavior. I did turn down the heat like you mentioned. I have it on 79 but I don’t think it’s that. I mean I guess it looks okay. Maybe he’s getting ready to split? This is the pic of it now with the swollen foot

View attachment 2904294
never considered splitting but yes, they do all kinds of weird things before split`

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never considered splitting but yes, they do all kinds of weird things before split`
Mannnn. It’s mouth has been open for the last few hours. It moved a little but it’s super glued to where it’s at. It’s deflated and looks like a 100 year old vagina

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mannnn. It’s mouth has been open for the last few hours. It moved a little but it’s super glued to where it’s at. It’s deflated and looks like a 100 year old vagina
Its super glued ?

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its super glued ?
Not actually super glued, I meant that it’s just really latched onto the rock. I want to take it out and put it in the hospital tank but it’s really latched on. Sorry wrong word to use lol you’re prolly like ……..

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit
I was going to say it's still attached so it's probably okay.

Wow, was nervous there.
Usually with an enemies the first thing to go is that they don't attach very well or become detached.
Or maybe it's all the worms in your tank getting to it. That was just a joke.

Edit: it does look very bleached how long have you had it?

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit
I was going to say it's still attached so it's probably okay.

Wow, was nervous there.
Usually with an enemies the first thing to go is that they don't attach very well or become detached.
Or maybe it's all the worms in your tank getting to it. That was just a joke.

Edit: it does look very bleached how long have you had it?
Oh no lol what are those things anyway?? So gross

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not actually super glued, I meant that it’s just really latched onto the rock. I want to take it out and put it in the hospital tank but it’s really latched on. Sorry wrong word to use lol you’re prolly like ……..
here's a trick- Hold an ice cube on it - It will release.
Other would be to aim water flow at it and it will release. Ice cube is faster

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a nem cannon.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’m definitely going to try that. I really think he’s just not well even tho he’s still attached. I don’t want him to nuke the tank. He just looks so flimsy and it’s all day. He’s so stretched out on the rock too, like he’s really really stuck on there. I wouldn’t even be able to get a grip of him he’s so stretched out flat. I’m definitely going to try the cannon. Thanks so much! I hope it works so I can get him in the hospital tank

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuously messing with the nem is gonna further stress it. I too recently had a BTA go south to the point where I was just waiting for it to die. Nothing I tried seemed to help. Took peoples advice on here a decided to let it be. I have and it finally looks like it’s making a come back after it walked alllllll over my tank. Yours does look awfully bleached. What kind of lighting is it under?

AS
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuously messing with the nem is gonna further stress it. I too recently had a BTA go south to the point where I was just waiting for it to die. Nothing I tried seemed to help. Took peoples advice on here a decided to let it be. I have and it finally looks like it’s making a come back after it walked alllllll over my tank. Yours does look awfully bleached. What kind of lighting is it under?
I don't bother it at all other than staring at it for 18 hours LOL I never bother my corals other than looking at them unless I absolutely have to move one. I use the coralife light. I am not sure if the light is good enough or if the settings are correct but everything else in my tank is doing super well. I have a bunch of other corals; acans, hammer, tons of zoas, candy cane, birds nest, mushrooms (all different types), plate coral (fungia), pagoda cup, clove, star polyp, jack-o-latern, Duncans and I just recently got this hard coral ( I am not sure what it is if you can tell me what it is. I just fell in love with the color but even the store didn't know). Ill post a pic of it if anyone can tell me what it is.

Attachments

• 3-6.jpeg
    3-6.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 28

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't bother it at all other than staring at it for 18 hours LOL I never bother my corals other than looking at them unless I absolutely have to move one. I use the coralife light. I am not sure if the light is good enough or if the settings are correct but everything else in my tank is doing super well. I have a bunch of other corals; acans, hammer, tons of zoas, candy cane, birds nest, mushrooms (all different types), plate coral (fungia), pagoda cup, clove, star polyp, jack-o-latern, Duncans and I just recently got this hard coral ( I am not sure what it is if you can tell me what it is. I just fell in love with the color but even the store didn't know). I’ll post a pic of it if anyone can tell me what it is.
I’ll take a stab at the coral. Looks like a chalice to me. Im not good at id’ing coral though. As for the nem, if its foot is attached and it’s opening it’s best to leave it be. Now, I can only assume that if your light is keeping sps happy it should keep the nem colored. Im just not certain. Sorry I can’t be of much help.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back