Anemone under rock for a month... (also can maroon clown questions)

alexytman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GBTA has been under a ledge for over a month. Been wondering if this is a problem. The anemone is expanding well but doesn't have as much of a bubble tentacle compared to before. The maroon is feeding it krill I put near it. The anemone hasn't moved since I got it except for maybe 1" towards the light a week ago. Will this cause it to die?

Another question is about maroons. They've been known to be very aggressive clowns, so I'd been wondering whether I would add a designer maroon to pair with it. (wondering since it will look so different). This fish has been in half a week after I got the nem.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

CC13

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GBTA has been under a ledge for over a month. Been wondering if this is a problem. The anemone is expanding well but doesn't have as much of a bubble tentacle compared to before. The maroon is feeding it krill I put near it. The anemone hasn't moved since I got it except for maybe 1" towards the light a week ago. Will this cause it to die?

Another question is about maroons. They've been known to be very aggressive clowns, so I'd been wondering whether I would add a designer maroon to pair with it. (wondering since it will look so different). This fish has been in half a week after I got the nem.

Any chance your able to post a picture?

BRS

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemones I’ve had that decided to take shelter behind/under a rock have never survived long. That’s been my experience anyway. I gave up keeping them for a long time. They like a really mature tank with high lighting. I’ve only recently started keeping them again. They aren’t the easiest things to take care of IMO.

As for maroons.... they are typically very aggressive and are some of the largest clowns you can get. I kept a pair of maroons and a pair of percs in the same tank without an issues. But that tank was 500 gallons and eight feet long!

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance your able to post a picture?
15365842840601456363735016844068.jpg

Here, it's with a private hermit cleaner

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemones I’ve had that decided to take shelter behind/under a rock have never survived long. That’s been my experience anyway. I gave up keeping them for a long time. They like a really mature tank with high lighting. I’ve only recently started keeping them again. They aren’t the easiest things to take care of IMO.

As for maroons.... they are typically very aggressive and are some of the largest clowns you can get. I kept a pair of maroons and a pair of percs in the same tank without an issues. But that tank was 500 gallons and eight feet long!
Mine is a 80g only. But it's with the same species so it should be okay right?

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem you may have.... the clown is really too big for the anemone. He may be pestering it. They say that the nem should be 2-3 times larger (when extended) than the clown.
Actually when it's expanded its almost a small plate... But it's daylight cycle is messed up since it's in the dark.... I don't understand

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the tank running?How long have you had the anemone in that tank? Prior to the anemone being under the rock, what have you done or change to the tank. Example new lights, new pump, have you added a reactor or added any chemicals to your tank.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually when it's expanded its almost a small plate... But it's daylight cycle is messed up since it's in the dark.... I don't understand
I never get it either.... sometimes SH and I have no clue. Especially when it comes to anemones. Currently I have two RBTAs on top of the rock, open and beautiful. I also have a green BTA that has always been behind a rock. Two things I’ve learned though... if you mess with them, they’ll do poorly and when they start losing color, it’s hard to get them back.

Elegance Coral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take a long time, but yes, the anemone is likely to die without adequate lighting.

It's hard to tell the exact size of the maroon, but it looks to be around two inches. A maroon of this size can be real difficult to pair. It's much easier to pair really large maroons with really small ones. I would still try to find the smallest maroon you can. One inch or less. Size is much more important than the markings on the clown.

In your situation, I'd kill two birds with one stone. Buy a new really small maroon, and rearrange the tank before putting it in. This will allow you to move the BTA to a better position, and disrupt the resident maroon's territory. Making her/him less defensive.

It's always a good idea to use an acclimation box when trying to pair larger clown species.

HTH
Peace
EC

landlubber

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tough to say why it isn't trying to seek more light but I agree with the others that if the clown is too big or rough with it the symbiotic relationship doesn't last and the stress will cause the anemone to move/hide.
3 clowns works for some but not great for others and the cases you hear about are ocellarus not maroons. after seeing how big a fully grown mar0on becomes I wouldn't add 3 unless I had 180g and up.

Top Shelf Aquatics

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a 80g only. But it's with the same species so it should be okay right?

All maroons are the same species. Premnas biaculeatus. They can go together, but there is no guarantee they will not fight. I would definitely add a smaller one to yours. Two females will not get along.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back