+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.]

I am curious on what light settings and flow does everyone have their anemones on. I have shermans and looks like some of them are starting to fade color. Am putting too much light on them or not enough.

Currently have 2 x XR15, 1 x Kessil 360WE and 2 sets of reef brites over the tank running around 65 to 70%.

1674171524359.png

AquaCave Logo Banner

MNFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Anemone!
That should be plenty of light, I have some that move between SPS colonies and are happy and I have some near the ground that are happy. I have tried to get some out from SPS colonies by blasting them with flow and they don't always seem to mind. Do you feed them anything?

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be your spectrum. Anemones prefer whiter spectrum. Could also be your nutrient levels. Phosphates too high or too low could have an effect on color too. I run my peak daytime lights (Kessils A360We's) at 70% color and 95% intensity, along with two ATI T5 blue plus and two blue and violet LED strip lights. My nems really seem to like this mix and look their best. My phosphates are also what some might consider high at .09, but again, all my nems have really good color.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
jp415

jp415

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Anemone!
That should be plenty of light, I have some that move between SPS colonies and are happy and I have some near the ground that are happy. I have tried to get some out from SPS colonies by blasting them with flow and they don't always seem to mind. Do you feed them anything?
I only broadcast feed the tank. With the amount of livestock in the tank I have to feed twice a day.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
jp415

jp415

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be your spectrum. Anemones prefer whiter spectrum. Could also be your nutrient levels. Phosphates too high or too low could have an effect on color too. I run my peak daytime lights (Kessils A360We's) at 70% color and 95% intensity, along with two ATI T5 blue plus and two blue and violet LED strip lights. My nems really seem to like this mix and look their best. My phosphates are also what some might consider high at .09, but again, all my nems have really good color.
Thanks I think it is because of my nutrient levels are high cause of the amount of live stock in the tank.

I thought it was because my magnesium level is low, but I am sure that nems don't mind the off Alk, Ca, Mag levels, but I may be wrong.

Ill try to adjust my lights to longer white periods and see the difference. My LFS told me to go all blues but the white is more appealing to the eye.

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS's recommend lots of blue for a couple of reasons: 1. the over emphasis on blue spectrum from lighting manufacturers AND 2. the fact that the blue/violet spectrum creates more 'pop' and brings out the fluorescence of the corals, hence the colors are more saturated and they look better. I think there is a balance. I employ both. Lots of blue during morning hours, high white during the peak daytime hours, and then heavy blue in the later evening. Best of both worlds for the corals/nems and for viewing variation.

OP
OP
jp415

jp415

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my local LFS stated that should go all blue but I have high whites during peak hours.

Also I read that if that dont get enough light there tentacles will stretch out maybe I should try to lower my settings a bit to see if that helps with that.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration
Back