Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 125 liter tank and 900l/h flow from filter. For US: 33gallon tank and 240gph flow.
My LFS have pair of ocellaris clowns hosted by bubble tip anemone.
Will the anemone do ok with my current flow?
It's rare to have such a trio for sale around me and I'll be gutted if they sell before my wavemakers arrive.

AquaCave Logo Banner

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean that your only flow comes from a HOB filter? No powerheads? A filter doesn't create flow at all. Flow means a powerhead in the tank pushing water. Flow brings oxygen and nutrients to animals, as well as blow dirt off them. I would not put corals or anemones in a no flow tank, water flow is very important.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone tend to move when they are not happy. When tank not stable anemone will move a lot. BTA does not need a lot of flow, but as pointed out before, your tank is new, and you are a new Reefer (I assumed). It is best to keep a tank, and be in the hobby for a while before attempting to keep anemone, even a BTA.
good luck.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
S

Sasquatchv

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone tend to move when they are not happy. When tank not stable anemone will move a lot. BTA does not need a lot of flow, but as pointed out before, your tank is new, and you are a new Reefer (I assumed). It is best to keep a tank, and be in the hobby for a while before attempting to keep anemone, even a BTA.
good luck.
True and true, new tank and me reefer here.
Trio sold anyway :(

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True and true, new tank and me reefer here.
Trio sold anyway :(
It's for the best. As a new reefer you shouldn't attempt to keep anemone for another 9 months or so.

OP
OP
S

Sasquatchv

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's for the best. As a new reefer you shouldn't attempt to keep anemone for another 9 months or so.
Really? that would mean no corals for a year then? Or softies/LPS are considered less fussy than anemone? I must re-watch some brs videos....

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, that would mean no corals for a year then? Or softies/LPS are considered less fussy than anemone?
Anemone are very hardy in the right conditions. One being a mature tank. Softies after a month or 2, LPS around 4 months, sps and anemone once coraline is taking off, which is sometime between 6 months and a year.

There are always exceptions. As a new reefer this time table will help you be successful rather than barely keeping things alive or dooming all together.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice so far, and by the way, don't get caught up in the allure of clownfish. They can be very aggressive especially when they start to get into breeding mode. Yes, it is cool how they host nems, but it is not cool how they go after other tank inhabitants. If you only want a couple of clownfish, then go for it. If you want other fish, consider something else. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
S

Sasquatchv

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice so far, and by the way, don't get caught up in the allure of clownfish. They can be very aggressive especially when they start to get into breeding mode. Yes, it is cool how they host nems, but it is not cool how they go after other tank inhabitants. If you only want a couple of clownfish, then go for it. If you want other fish, consider something else. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah...thing is it all started with clowns+anemone. They are "so cute together", according to Mrs Sasquatchv.
I know some clowns are bullies(maroons) but ocellaris supposed to be community fish, or did I cross messages on them too?
You make question all I know about reefing...o_O

Nutramar Foods

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...thing is it all started with clowns+anemone. They are "so cute together", according to Mrs Sasquatchv.
I know some clowns are bullies(maroons) but ocellaris supposed to be community fish, or did I cross messages on them too?
You make question all I know about reefing...o_O
It took over 2 years and a few anemone before any hosted my clowns. For all the trouble I went trying to get the pairing to happen, now my clowns bite me like piranha any time my hand is in the tank. They are not cute. I barely see them and they're the biggest Jenks in the tank.

OP
OP
S

Sasquatchv

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jekyl @jabberwock if show this to Mrs there may not be Sasquatchv reef...:(

@Jekyl that's why I(we) wanted paired trio, I know not all clowns will bond with anemone, most being tank breed and never seen one.

Ocellaris being bullies is kinda news to me(I know they're aggressive to other ocellaris outside the pair.)
Back to drawing board, I guess.

Top Shelf Aquatics

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jekyl @jabberwock if show this to Mrs there may not be Sasquatchv reef...:(

@Jekyl that's why I(we) wanted paired trio, I know not all clowns will bond with anemone, most being tank breed and never seen one.

Ocellaris being bullies is kinda news to me(I know they're aggressive to other ocellaris outside the pair.)
Back to drawing board, I guess.

I wouldn't be totally discouraged. If you love the idea of two clowns and a nem, go for it! Honestly you're not going to be sticking much more fish in a 30 Gallon anyway, if anymore at all.

Yes clowns can definately be agressive, In my 120G my clowns are absolute jerks to me, but leave my other fish alone. With enough space they won't be much trouble. If it gets you into the hobby with your other halfs support and MAYBE down the road you could convince them into an upgrade, win win.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be totally discouraged. If you love the idea of two clowns and a nem, go for it! Honestly you're not going to be sticking much more fish in a 30 Gallon anyway, if anymore at all.

Yes clowns can definately be agressive, In my 120G my clowns are absolute jerks to me, but leave my other fish alone. With enough space they won't be much trouble. If it gets you into the hobby with your other halfs support and MAYBE down the road you could convince them into an upgrade, win win.
I agree. If that is what you want, just be aware of the limitations. A clownfish is actually a damsel, which by nature equals aggression to other tank mates.

OP
OP
S

Sasquatchv

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks tor the encouragement.
My tanks is "classic" 80x35x41cm.
Funnilly enough there is already a plan where to put 1000l tank if(when?) We really get hooked.

Plan was to keep 2x clowns, 1x bule yellow tail damsel, 1x mandarin and 1x 6line wrasse... Now rethinking it.

My signature does not show, my build thread: Thread 'My first 125l (33g) nano reef - 80x35x41cm (31.5x14x16")' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-first-125l-33g-nano-reef-80x35x41cm-31-5x14x16.945069/

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back