Anemone Help

maxmale96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me start off by saying if I knew what I know now, I would not have gotten an anemone so soon. Definitely a mistake, but still trying to fix that. I got an anemone after having the tank for 2 months and it was doing real well at first (see first picture). It then moved to a different spot and has done awful since then (see second picture). Any ideas on how I can get it healthy and expanded again? Tanks been up and running for about 5 months and everything else is doing really well.

Parameters in pic attached too

Parameters.jpg Good anemone.jpg Bad anemone.jpg

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your Alkalinity is extremely low. I would start by raising that to 7 at absolute minimum. You will need to go slow doing this as going from 5.5 to 7 in a day would be quite a swing and may even cause a worse outcome.

Your nutrients are also imbalanced. Nitrates should be increase, while Phosphates are a bit high thats not the end of the world.

That is where I would start and just please go slow making any of these changes. You can't expect a turn around over night.

I would shoot for 8 Alk, 10 Nitrates and .07-.1 on Phosphates.

Edit: Also a bit confused on the Alkalinity vs KH listed. You put 5.5 DKH but 143 PPM KH.

If your DKH was 5.5 the ppm would be in the 98-100 range.

What test kits are you using?

OP
OP
M

maxmale96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Alkalinity is extremely low. I would start by raising that to 7 at absolute minimum. You will need to go slow doing this as going from 5.5 to 7 in a day would be quite a swing and may even cause a worse outcome.

Your nutrients are also imbalanced. Nitrates should be increase, while Phosphates are a bit high thats not the end of the world.

That is where I would start and just please go slow making any of these changes. You can't expect a turn around over night.

I would shoot for 8 Alk, 10 Nitrates and .07-.1 on Phosphates.

Edit: Also a bit confused on the Alkalinity vs KH listed. You put 5.5 DKH but 143 PPM KH.

If your DKH was 5.5 the ppm would be in the 98-100 range.

What test kits are you using?
Whats the best way to raise Alk without increasing calcium and magnesium? Also for Nitrates?

• The KH is the carbonate hardness which is 143 while the Alkalinity is 5.5.
  • I am using Hanna testers for Alkalinity, Phosphate, Nitrate, and magnesium
  • Using API Reef master test kit for Calcium and Carbonate hardness

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Carbonate Hardness is usually referred to the amount of Calcium and Mag in your water so if you are testing those parameters you can most likely stop testing for that.

Hanna testers for alk if the reagent bottle is low has been known to be quite off (I have seen these results myself) which is why I use Salifert for Alk, Cal, Mag and Hanna for No3 and Po4.

To increase Alk you can add something like Red Sea Foundation B which will increase only Alkalinity while leaving Cal and Mag the same. Don't use something like All for Reef or Polylab One.

There are a few ways to increase nutrients in the tank but also don't want to over do it. You can use an additive like NeoNitro which will dose nitrogen and the bacteria in your tank will convert it to no3 after about 24 hours. You have to be careful not to overdose it. You can also try feeding a bit more. Fish poo = Nutrients but want you want make sure you aren't feeding only things like flake or dry food as they can be loaded with phosphates which is the opposite of what you want. Do you have any form of nutrient export for your tank like a refugium or a skimmer?

OP
OP
M

maxmale96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbonate Hardness is usually referred to the amount of Calcium and Mag in your water so if you are testing those parameters you can most likely stop testing for that.

Hanna testers for alk if the reagent bottle is low has been known to be quite off (I have seen these results myself) which is why I use Salifert for Alk, Cal, Mag and Hanna for No3 and Po4.

To increase Alk you can add something like Red Sea Foundation B which will increase only Alkalinity while leaving Cal and Mag the same. Don't use something like All for Reef or Polylab One.

There are a few ways to increase nutrients in the tank but also don't want to over do it. You can use an additive like NeoNitro which will dose nitrogen and the bacteria in your tank will convert it to no3 after about 24 hours. You have to be careful not to overdose it. You can also try feeding a bit more. Fish poo = Nutrients but want you want make sure you aren't feeding only things like flake or dry food as they can be loaded with phosphates which is the opposite of what you want. Do you have any form of nutrient export for your tank like a refugium or a skimmer?
Good to know! And no, no refugium or skimmer

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know! And no, no refugium or skimmer
If no way for nutrient export other than water change I would recommend some GFO to lower the phosphates a little bit and SMALL doses of neonitro. Fair warning those as GFO while lower alkalinity while its working.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So let me start off by saying if I knew what I know now, I would not have gotten an anemone so soon. Definitely a mistake, but still trying to fix that. I got an anemone after having the tank for 2 months and it was doing real well at first (see first picture). It then moved to a different spot and has done awful since then (see second picture). Any ideas on how I can get it healthy and expanded again? Tanks been up and running for about 5 months and everything else is doing really well.

Parameters in pic attached too

Parameters.jpg Good anemone.jpg Bad anemone.jpg
Keep an eye on Phosphate , nitrate and ammonia with this tank being new. Moderate light and flow and occasional feeding with mysis shrimp will keep it happy

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As other have said, increase Alk urgently but steadily, generally aim for no more than 0.2 dkh change per day to avoid shock to your pets. I use kalkwasser for maintenance, and Fritz alk buffer for further adjustments: https://amzn.to/4edgGxC

Nitrate can also stand to be increased.

OP
OP
M

maxmale96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Anemone still doing awful...

Nitrate - 0.15
Phosphate - 0