Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I got an anemone last thursday or friday and he shifted a little, but not much. He is now completely retreating into his little sack part whenever the blue light is off, even with daylights on. Should I be concerned? Or is this just part of it adjusting? The tank it came from only had a blue light and it was fat and bubbly and very happy.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

riveradaniel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I got an anemone last thursday or friday and he shifted a little, but not much. He is now completely retreating into his little sack part whenever the blue light is off, even with daylights on. Should I be concerned? Or is this just part of it adjusting? The tank it came from only had a blue light and it was fat and bubbly and very happy.
Can we see some pictures?

OP
OP
C

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed some of the tentacles are starting to shrivel when it came back out, gonna do some more reading. Here's the pics:

Closed with daylights, cheap grow light in very back
IMG_1055.jpg

Starting to come out when I turned on the blue light
IMG_1057.jpg

Closer, notice tentacles on left are significantly smaller and have shrunk
IMG_1059.jpg

For comparison, this was the same anemone yesterday morning:
69792762040__EC38DE71-2D55-4DA9-9088-985472F5576D.jpeg

riveradaniel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters at and how old is the tank? How long have you had the anemone? I didn't get one until my tank was 6 months old and I am glad I did, they aren't extremely picky they just need a decent light and a stable tank. They move around a lot at first, the first week or so until they find somewhere they like. Yours looks completely okay as of now, thats exactly how mine looks at night when they close up.

OP
OP
C

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters at and how old is the tank? How long have you had the anemone? I didn't get one until my tank was 6 months old and I am glad I did, they aren't extremely picky they just need a decent light and a stable tank. They move around a lot at first, the first week or so until they find somewhere they like. Yours looks completely okay as of now, thats exactly how mine looks at night when they close up.
Live rock in tank is going on 5 months plus 11lbs I got from SBRCo that came out of the gulf. Sand is 6 weeks old. Moved the tank after killing a fish and having way too much food in it so basically had to throw out the sand as it had a bunch of rotting food mixed in. Someone else was watching it for me at the time, hence the move.

Only test kit I have right now is API (need to get some red sea or salifert)
Ph 8-8.2
Ammonia .25 (ish, kinda that "never reads zero")
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20
Salinity 1.024

I read some and need to go to bed in a second (5:30am comes quick) but one guy had issues cause he used tap water and dechlorinator, I do the same so going to invest in some RODI water soon. I won't have much time to seriously mess with the tank till saturday evening, but I've been doing weekly 5 Gallon water changes (roughly 25%)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read some and need to go to bed in a second (5:30am comes quick) but one guy had issues cause he used tap water and dechlorinator, I do the same so going to invest in some RODI water soon. I won't have much time to seriously mess with the tank till saturday evening, but I've been doing weekly 5 Gallon water changes (roughly 25%)
This could be a major problem for the anemone if you are using tap water. A rodi filter would be a great investment if you can

OP
OP
C

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to have perked up again today, so probably just acclimating. I am going to get some distilled water for right now just to start getting the tapwater out of the tank until I have the funds for a RO/DI system. I got a Red Sea KpH test kit today so I'll see what it is tonight

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unsure but I do know that anemone do just move to find Thier own place in aquriam. My anemone was massive, I mean hand sized big when I first introduced and it hid under a overhang, out of light for months, it turned small and white but I did not change anything, 2 years on it appears to be happy, full of colour and my clowns love it

OP
OP
C

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkalinity is pretty high at 13.5 Dkh or whatever the unit of measurement is. Gonna do a 25% water change tomorrow with distilled water while I weigh investing in a rodi filter. Anemone seems to be doing okay, but definitely spending plenty of time inside its cocoon. It responds way better to the blue light than anything else so going to start running that more. I also need better lights but they aren’t cheap

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back